Norton Utilities 1.0 (95) for Win

edited May 27 in Product Comments
imageNorton Utilities 1.0 (95) for Win

The Norton Utilities is a suite of disk and system utilities designed to enhance system performance and stability. It started off as a set of disk utilities written by Peter Norton, and later was sold by Symantec. It competed against Central Point PC Tools and the Mace Utilities. In 2003, Norton Utilities was merged with Norton SystemWorks, but later split back out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited May 27
    Norton Utilities for Windows 95 Upgrade (1.0) (1995) (3.5-1.44mb)

Comparing file sets from the retail/full diskettes I have, and this upgrade set, there is only one file difference.

This file only: SIW.QPD (disk 1)
    It's mentioned once only in INSTALL.INF

[Tomahawk]
    siw.qpd, SOURCE

I take QPD to mean "qualifying product" and SIW stands for Symantec Install Wizard.

The installer does an if/then/else: it always checks for the presence of SIW.QPD. If not present, checks for SIW.STB. Whichever it finds - it reads that file to determine what files need to be already present or not.

Attached is SIW.STB from retail. (maybe STB means "Standard Box"- I dunno)

PS: I always overlook something - or forget it - this is the 3rd time editing the post.... :)

There s also a very well done German language floppy set here:
    https://archive.org/details/NortonUtilitiesForWindows95German
  • Alrighty then! I have a better "fix". Did a binary compare of SIW.QPD & SIW.STB. The contents are binary exactly the same. Every last friggin' byte.

So then, using a hex editor, I change that files name. That's it - one and done.

See attached.