wireless security

BODBOD
edited September 2004 in Hardware
anyone know the best way of securing a wireless network? should i use WPA or WEP?

Comments

• I used WEP but i dontn know what is more secure
  • i bin reading the mannua for my router and it seems that anyone within 100 metres (109 yards) can leech off my connection and other stuff
  • my network has never been cracked, yet. But I used WEP. I think WEP is all you really need.
  • Also use MAC filtering
  • whats WPA and WEP?

I'm horrible with network terms.
  • Wired Equivalent Privacy

Wi-Fi Protected Access
  • whats the difference between them?
  • No clue, you still got your wireless manual?
  • haha my network could probably be cracked easily.
  • LOL

Just make sure you change your password for your router or someone will come along, block all MAC address's except for theres and lock you out.
  • isnt wpa stronger than wep, but less compatible?
  • BOD wrote:
    isnt wpa stronger than wep, but less compatible?

yup. wpa is windows only, i think windows XP only, so if you have any other windows installs that arent xp, or if you have linux, bsd, or any other non ms os, your screwed.
  • so far all i got is my laptop on XP......
  • Umm, according to my sources (Wikipedia) WEP is the older one with several flaws in it. WPA supersceeded it. However if MS EEEd it into their own thing, then it wouldn't surprise it @ all.

As to which to use, WPA, WEP has several known flaws.

-Q
  • I use WEP because I can't even access my network from some areas in my home, so how is anyone else going to?

I couldn't get WPA on the 98 system I had on the wireless originally, so I never used it.
  • I use WEP because I can't even access my network from some areas in my home, so how is anyone else going to?

I couldn't get WPA on the 98 system I had on the wireless originally, so I never used it.

thats cos WPA is XP only i think, anyways i set it all up, lets jsut hope i dont get hacked :P
  • Yea. You won't, unless you live in an apartment or something.
  • i dont think thers anyone near me that has wireless let alone smart enough to hack it

hell im probably the only person in about 3 miles that has DSL.....