another Wierd Problem... MBR

edited September 2004 in Software
Ok, this is VERY ODD. My laptop was working perfectly yesterday, everything was working, then this morning, i have turned on my laptop, only to find "No Operating System Found" then my laptop kicked into the next boot device (the network boot)

anyways, can someone help me? I have tried Windows XP repair the "FIXMBR, no luck, and I tried BootIT NG, because it is on a CD, and i dont want to pay $50 just for a floppy drive

can someone help me?

Comments

• your screwed.
  • How old/new is the laptop?
  • Just reinstall XP and it'll fix NTLDR
  • Run a repair install, that might do it.

-Q
  • HMM how many HDD's are in that system?
  • NTLDR is not an MBR... MBR is another thing... You may try to type "Fixboot" in Recovery console..
  • reminds me of when my laptop did that, usually measn the hdd's screwed...
  • It's likely a hardware problem but could be as simple as
    just a loose connection. I've never worked on a laptop
    but if you could check and reseat anything in there that
    just might fix it. Turn it upside down and then try to
    boot and see if that works if you can't or won't go in.
    Thump
  • i had a problem with my laptop last week, the hdd just stopped spinning.....

anyway try shakin it lightly, also do what thump sed, open up where the hdd is and reconnect the cable.
  • YEah but make sure if you take any of them small cable ribbons off you remember in which order you did so.
    Because you can fuxor up your laptop if you don't put it back in the right order because it won't fit that way.
  • yeah make sure you put the cables back how they where, forgot that cos i have 1 drive....
  • Ok, I have 1HDD, the laptop ios less than 1 yr old, i havent touched the HDD cables, the HDD is detected by the BIOS, there are no cables on the inside really that you can see, the HDD connectior isnt a cable, it is more of a slot.

I think i sould shake my laptop. I also took out the HDD, jsut to see if i fired it, but i didnt see anything wrong.
  • Don't shake it then, the heads still work...for now
  • can you hear the drive spinning? cos in some drives theres something that rattles, thats what got stuck on mine
  • Try using something to access the drive, if it works then its just the MBR that's fucked. Just reinstall if you can't fix it.
  • use a bootdisk/cd to see if you can see the contents of the drive, like IBM sed if u can then its the MBR not the drive
  • well, i tried using BootitNG (i use it every time i need to repartition on VMs)

anyways, Boot IT NG didnt find the partition, and I use that cuz it works on a CD, and my laptop dont have a floppy drive

Anyways, I can try and use Barts PE Builder
  • does the windows CD see the drive?
  • Can you make a partition?

If you cant make one, your heads are screwed. If you can, you just deleted your partition.
  • well, i think i am taking in my laptop, even though, i hope they dont find my heaping piles of w@r.z (. = e)
  • to best buy i mean where my parents got it, maytbe i can even get a floppy....
  • LOL, What I did when I got my 160Gb, I wanted to start fesh on the 80Gb, so I traded it into Radioshack for a new one and before I did, I threw it against the wall to make sure it would never work again so they can't find shit.
  • Well it sounds better now, I think the partition tables got messed up
    someway. Did it come with a restore disk? If it did you may have
    to use that and lose whatever's on there. Bart's PE is good and if it
    doesn't see anything there's probably not anything there.
    I sure hope you got a restore disk.
    Thump
  • well, first I think i could try reformating just to see what it does

It might work
  • exacly how old is the laptop? cos it might be under warranty/guarantee./......
  • LOL, What I did when I got my 160Gb, I wanted to start fesh on the 80Gb, so I traded it into Radioshack for a new one and before I did, I threw it against the wall to make sure it would never work again so they can't find shit.
    I don't blame you, they cn get into some pretty personal stuff by fixing your HDD.
  • Oh yea, I got a restore disk, good thing i got this laptop from HP

maybe I can try and recover the data using some data recovery software.
  • Nah, I don't keep that sort of shit on my hard drives.

I doubt they looked at it, I just went in there, traded it in and left.
  • BOD wrote:
    exacly how old is the laptop? cos it might be under warranty/guarantee./......

it is under a 3yr warentee

wow, my parents do care about my laptop.

(my mom and dad had to buy the extyra 2 1/2 yrs)
  • why didnt you run something like active kill disk?