need to keep my hdd cool

edited December 2004 in Hardware
i am trying to keep all inside my server cool but i only have room for one more fan and it isn't where i need itich is by my hdd somwhere cause my hdd is getting up to 98 degrees when idle then goes up to 108 sometimes when in use does anyone know a way to keep it all cool
and also the inside of my pc is pretty clean and all the junk is well sorted still need to get some of those thin ide cables though

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ok then i will btu it said in some hdd monitoring thing i got that above 40 degrees C is over hot and every 10 degrees C past 40 your hdd becomes 20% more likely to fail and your chance of invalid data writes is like 20% more all i know though (i could have converted ti wrong) is that what the temp says is 41C usually then 39C wehn idle
  • your probably gettin confused with CPU temp
  • no i am not cause the temp monitoring app only does hdd temp no cpu temp
    also is a cpu temp of 109F bad it use to eb that befoere i got a new cpu and fan now it stays at about 92-102
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *Moved to Hardware Support*

-Q
  • My laptop processor is at 120, it's been to 150 lots of times. Don't worry about it.

My laptop HDD is currently at 123, so no sweat.
  • Those temps are prefectly fine. My CPU stays at just under 60*C all the time, and the hard drive stays at about 40*C. Ive never had a problem, and when I do, everyone knows since I host the forum.
  • If you really want to go ahead and add some extra cooling for your HD you can always cut a hole on the bottom of the drive bay (Thats if it's all covered) and stick on a fan to blow air onto the circut board.
  • They do make small fans that you can screw onto the bottom of the HDs themselves.

-Q
  • hckr83 wrote:
    ok then i will btu it said in some hdd monitoring thing i got that above 40 degrees C is over hot and every 10 degrees C past 40 your hdd becomes 20% more likely to fail and your chance of invalid data writes is like 20% more all i know though (i could have converted ti wrong) is that what the temp says is 41C usually then 39C wehn idle
    You mentioned celcius just now, before you said the hard drives temperature in farenheit. Are you mixing the temperatures of your hard drive and what others CPU temperatures are?
  • get some water cooling - expensive but i find its worth the price.
  • get some water cooling - expensive but i find its worth the price.
    It's TOO expensive... and is not worth cuz you can get the same result with a good fan for lower price.
  • Slash wrote:
    get some water cooling - expensive but i find its worth the price.
    It's TOO expensive... and is not worth cuz you can get the same result with a good fan for lower price.

You're right.

Water cooling is only needed for Pentium 4's :twisted:
  • dont some people realise?

water + electricity = (fail)
  • Yes, water cooling is dangeruos, but that's only if you fuck up.

thus, use a CPU that doesn't overheat, AKA, AMD LOL
  • That's true BOD, but that's if the waters ionic. If you use distilled water and keep your system free from dissolvable forgeign objects you'll be safer.

-Q
  • we already had this conversation before i think.... but yeh
  • This reminds me of when TCP told me that he had built a box around his CPU and pumped compressed nitrogen into it or something. And when he showed me the diagrams he made in paint of how he was going to put his Central Airduct into his case.
  • LOL WTF? Sounds like an idiot
  • You're new here, so someone'll have to fill you in on him.

-Q
  • Nah, I've heard about him.

The comment SurfinShell23 said makes him look like more of an idiot.
  • HaH! Aren't the water coolers protected from electricity?
  • Water cooling can use more then just water. I've seen some that use a Oil based lquide. If you do use water you don't use tap water. You use distilled water. So if it leaks then it would fuck up the system. Why? because distilled water doesn't have the propertises for conduting electricity. Man my grammer is really off today lol.

I just now noticed that Q beat me to it of the water.
  • the water doesnt conduct elecrticity, the minerals inside it do
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Oil based lquide

I noticed spelling 1st, there a "spell check" MOD? :lol: j/k :wink: