Microsoft replacements

2»

Comments

• Now that I think about it, GAIM probably wanted it.
  • Eureka! I've got it. Go to http://www.gtk.org/ and look at the top right. Various apps from the GNOME desktop need it to run. So you're right, it probably was GAIM.
  • Mozilla does own!

Now I know why Linux and OS\2 use Mozilla in place of IE!

Windows users are finally catching on how good it is. Im only using the stand alone Mozilla thats like NS 4.8, but its cool
  • Yay! Another Mozilla user! Now if I could only convince No Nothing...

• It has a browser called Web Explorer that blows, BUT you can remove it and guess what else? IBM RECEMENDS Mozilla and about 90% OS\2 users do use it.

Where do you think Microsoft got the name Internet Explorer from?
    WebExplorer!

OS/2 even has a icon called "Get Netscape Now!" on the desktop after installing!

OS/2 ROCKS!
  • Yeah, IBM WE (EVEN WEBBOY FOR DOS) was better than IE 2.0.

this is by 1996 stds. they BOTH suck now!
  • Netscape is nasty. I wonder if it's the slowest browser on Earth. I dunno why my school even tried encouraging students to use it instead of Internet Explorer.
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    Ian wrote:
    Why did you bother to upgrade to version 5? The old version is just fine. I'm more surprised that Winamp.com only provides the download for version 5. The older version can be downloaded from www.oldversion.com

I cant stand 5... it runs SO SLOW on my 1.4GHz... like, it actually lags... and they want a 1.5GHz for it, which is VERY demanding for a MEDIA PLAYER... So I use WinAmp 2.91... the GOOD version.

are u serious?? 5 runs smooth on my pc
  • yeah right, a Pentium III cant outperform an AMD Duron 1.4GHz.
  • Unless, of course this AMD Duron was running Seti and a lot of MySQL stuff. Heh.
  • 1) Seti@Home only uses IDLE Processor.

So that means if he has lets ay 43% IDLE CPU, Seti@Home will ONLY use that, if you have 0%, Seti@Home wont run at all. Seti@Home does NOT use additional CPU useage, just the idle part.
  • The AMD Duron like the Intel Celeron. AMD started to compete with Intel on getoo CPUs.
  • yeah right, a Pentium III cant outperform an AMD Duron 1.4GHz.

im serious it runs just fine...
  • Winamp 5 seriously runs fine on my P3-500. You have to disable that crappy modern skin. I have a analog VU-meter plugin, a LCD output plugin, and Winamp ComControl runninng, and no probs. Only sometimes it doesn't want to minimize.

My PC is also running a distibuted computing client: Distributed.net RC5-72.
  • youve probably just never used a good version.
  • 1) Seti@Home only uses IDLE Processor.

So that means if he has lets ay 43% IDLE CPU, Seti@Home will ONLY use that, if you have 0%, Seti@Home wont run at all. Seti@Home does NOT use additional CPU useage, just the idle part.

Not if he set the SETI process to a higher priority, like I have. Besides, it does take a little time to regain the processing power. The client would always be running, which uses some processing power.
  • If its set to lowest... it will *NOT* interfere with anything but the System Idle Process...
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    If its set to lowest... it will *NOT* interfere with anything but the System Idle Process...

Right, but if not, it will interfere.
  • Even Below Normal I notice no lag with anything.
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    Ian wrote:
    Why did you bother to upgrade to version 5? The old version is just fine. I'm more surprised that Winamp.com only provides the download for version 5. The older version can be downloaded from www.oldversion.com

I cant stand 5... it runs SO SLOW on my 1.4GHz... like, it actually lags... and they want a 1.5GHz for it, which is VERY demanding for a MEDIA PLAYER... So I use WinAmp 2.91... the GOOD version.
    FishNET650 wrote:
    youve probably just never used a good version.

You have got to be kidding me... WinAMP 5, using the classic skin(s), runs just as well as 2.91 does on my K6-2 500Mhz system in Windows 95/98... :P No lag at all... And WinAMP 5 runs great (much better than WMP) on my Athlon 2500+ with both classic and modern skins. I've used several versions of WinAMP 2.x, 3, and 5, and WinAMP 5 is the best I've seen.
  • I Use Google Compute i think thats Folding@Home, it doesnt really bog me down, but is SETI That one that is like lookin for ET or sumfin?
  • James wrote:
    I Use Google Compute i think thats Folding@Home, it doesnt really bog me down, but is SETI That one that is like lookin for ET or sumfin?

Essentially, yes. SETI stands for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. So pretty much, we're looking for ET's cousins.