WTF? My 2nd hard drive

edited October 2004 in Hardware
It...stopped working all of a sudden. Almost like it lost power or something. Could it be the extreme age of the drive (~7 yrs) or perhaps is my PSU starting to go?

Comments

• its probably dead. What brand is the drive? most Quantum drives die after about 6 years. My server has a Seagate drive and a quantum drive. both SCSI. The Quantum only wokrs if you hit it a coule of times.
  • It's a Western Digital Caviar WD2200. I'll try putting it back in its original PC later to see if it makes a difference.
  • did it cry when you booted it up?
  • Yeah, probably dead.
    Hard drives are only guaranteed for one year except some
    special editions which are guaranteed for three years.
    They can last a lot longer but you shouldn't depend on them
    too much.
    Thump
  • RIP nightce's 2nd hard drive
  • hacked711 wrote:
    did it cry when you booted it up?

No, actually, it just randomly crashed, but I didn't see any messages...I was waiting for Doom to start, went to take a piss, and came back to see it quitting.
  • sigh, reminds me of my mini's 8 gig. Also a fireball. It made grinding/clicking sounds when windows was booted. For some reason it didn't do anything wrong when I put it secondary in my pentium and copied files from it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • my 2GB quantum still works...

only 1 HDD failure in my laptop but warranty covered it
  • Alright, Windows fucked up. Maybe it corrupted the partition table in memory?...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    I have a Quantum 400 MB drive that's still going strong. And hard drives only guaranteed for a year? Yeah, perhaps warranties, but that doesn't mean most of them break down after a year. LOL I've *never* had a hard drive failure, and I've been using computers for 10 years -- and I own about 15 hard drives ranging from 100 MB to 80 GB.

Ive seen a working 7MB drive.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    I have a Quantum 400 MB drive that's still going strong. And hard drives only guaranteed for a year? Yeah, perhaps warranties, but that doesn't mean most of them break down after a year. LOL I've *never* had a hard drive failure, and I've been using computers for 10 years -- and I own about 15 hard drives ranging from 100 MB to 80 GB.

Ive seen a working 7MB drive.

My IBM XT has a 20mb MFM HDD, and it still works! its loud as hell tho.
  • I've got a (maybe) working 5, but don't have the OS or wherewithall to try to see.

-Q
  • I think most of HDDs cannot live more than 7 years.
    In intensive work, of course...
  • Thump wrote:
    Yeah, probably dead.
    too much.
    Thump

Most hard drives now are guaranteed for 3 years. Seagates are for 5.
  • z16bitsega wrote:
    Thump wrote:
    Yeah, probably dead.
    too much.
    Thump

Most hard drives now are guaranteed for 3 years. Seagates are for 5.

mines gauranteed for up to 350gs lol
  • HaH! I LOVED those Seagate G warnings. I think the 5MiB one was 70 or 75, then it was 100something, I don't have any new SGs to see the latest...

-Q
  • But my 80Mb HDD serves me well on my 386... no problems... only its size...
  • well mines 20GB.....