Networking problems [pic]

BODBOD
edited October 2004 in Hardware
below is a rough idea of what my network looks like

network.JPG

the question is, when i plug my brothers comp into the router he can access the internet fine, however when i plug it into the hub he cant. i removed the servers connection to the router so its only connected to the hub and it can access the net fine.

any ideas?

Comments

• Why 2 lines going to the server?
  • it has two NICs
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the servers only connected to the hub once....
  • Prbly wrong, but try a good NIC from the server in the brother's computer just to see.
  • As from your pic, it should work, and work fine... I think...
    Maybe the problem is in your hub...
  • Yeah, remove the servers connection to the hub, let your brother connect to the hub and have just his computer connected to it. You have wireless but nothing seems wirelessly connected, maybe you should get a wireless card somewhere to free up a port.
  • NEVER use two NICs going to one network... It WONT make anything faster.... just slower.
  • I'm going to do some twisted networking as soon as I get hold of a crossover cable. My mini and pentium are going to be connected with a crossover. Both are wirelessly connected to the router. I am going to use this crossover connection to allow microsoft OS's below 98 to connect to the other computer and then use that connection to get to the router and to other computers on the network and then the internet. That method would work right? It's two nics... but one (of 4) won't be used, and one will be sharing it's connection though the other one. I guess I'll have to remove the crossover cable when both machines are booted into windows 98+ otherwise they'll connect to eachother directly and through the router.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    As from your pic, it should work, and work fine... I think...

No, absolutely not. He should *not* be connecting two NICs in the same computer to the same network, with a hub in there to only aid in his packet storm. The reason his brother can't access anything when connected to the hub while the server has both connections going is because the hub is being *pounded* by the server's NICs.

In case you people are forgetting, hubs are like repeaters. They take whatever is coming in one Ethernet port and repeat it to every other Ethernet port. This is what creates packet storms.
    I thought that connecting to NICs to one computer will make the network a bit slower, but it will work anyway! And here it doesn't work! So problem may be in another thing...
  • Regardless, it's COMPLETELY redundant (From what you've told us), so removing it and disabling the card in Device Manager is a good idea to free up a port. If it also solves the problem, then so much the better.

-Q
  • I occasionaly am on wireless and wired with my laptop... but usually not. I use switches anyway.
  • the wireless is for my laptop when i get fed up of my room, and want to go somewhere else
  • i removed the second NIC from the server but my brother still cant access the internet, yet still when i plug his comp into the router he can
  • edited October 2004
    Ok here is an idea:

Idea 1: Pink Plug in your bros PC into the server
    Idea 2: Blue Plug in your bros PC into the HUB
    Idea 3: Green Plug in your bros PC into the router

Or why not connect the server to the router, your Bros PC into the hub?

Here is the image, (My webhost doesnt allow me to upload images)
    http://cmputerman.u69.us/idea/ideabod.htm

Edit: I made the image a .jpg and got around my webhosts limit thing, they dont allow .bmp
    anyways, BOD there is a few suggestions, and I made the image in network notepad
  • cant see the image
  • I fixed it. My webhost doesn't like .bmps
  • ok i tried that it doesnt work :P

this is what it should be like:

network_rev2.JPG
  • Image times out.
    I'd try to use the router 1st before the hub, and also, make sure that the netcard in his machine is workings, set-up correctly, etc, etc. It might be a local machine problem and not the network.

-Q
  • ive messed around a bit thats why it time'd out

anyways ive found a switch on the bottom of the hub thats labelled "port 5 uplink". should it be on or off?
  • What's it connected to? If it's going to another machine, OFF. If it's on then it'll change Port 5 into a crossover port!

-Q
  • maby thats the probelm.....
  • Try turning it off, restarting and resetting, and seeing what happens.

-Q
  • i turned DHCP off

i cant ping the router or any other pcs on the network
  • server:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Router:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter (Gene
    ric)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-4F-9C-C8-48
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.74.112.66

brothers comp:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : andys
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-4F-21-E7-CB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.74.112.66