Problem with a CD-RW Asus 5224A

edited October 2004 in Hardware
I don't know is it hardware problem or not, but...
When I copy files from cd or record cd-r/rw system becomes very slowly - even Winamp brakes. Asus is at secondary slave. There is a NEC 1300A at secondary master - there are no problems with it. What is it?
OS - Windows XP SP2.

Comments

• 1. Can you use it to read?
    2. What speed is the NEC?
    3. What are you using to copy the files over?

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 1. I can use it to read but it reads very slowly and all the system brakes.
    2. NEC - 4/4/4/40/24/40. Reading is 40.
    3. I use explorer.
    Transfer mode - DMA2
  • Hmm...

1. Then it may not be that good a drive :/
    3. Can your system take something like Roxio or Nero? I don't think that highly of Windows's CD burning capabilites.

-Q
  • 1. This drive worked for about 1.5 years
    3. Windows burning capabilities are switched off. I use Nero.
    I resolved problem - transfer mode was PIO. I set DMA if available but it stayed PIO. :-) Yesterday it was showing DMA2. I set jumpers to cable select - everything is working.
  • I think it was a WinXP SP2 joke :-)
  • Alright.

Who knows why it got reset. I know that sometimes installing major updates will default certain settings, so maybe that happened?

Well it's working so so much for me!

-Q
  • SP2 0wnz you.

Lately I had some PIO / DMA problems, my C:\ drive said it was in PIO, which explained my constant PC slowness... turns out I needed the drive plugged into the other set of IDE conectors, apparently, one is for ATA66, the otheres ATA100, but I thought it was for RAID only.
  • I know there was a bug in XP that the OS doesn't allow you to set tranfer mode other than PIO even your drive supports DMA.
    I've fixed that with Customizer-XP. (Now the program is called TweakNow)
  • Slash wrote:
    I know there was a bug in XP that the OS doesn't allow you to set tranfer mode other than PIO even your drive supports DMA.
    I've fixed that with Customizer-XP. (Now the program is called TweakNow)

........Im in UDMA5.... Without hacks or patches.
  • I have experienced it in Original Windows Xp. In service pack 1 that issues were fixed.