AOL 9

edited November 2004 in Software
What's the official site of AOL?
I wanna try their latest 9 version... someone said it's cool.

Comments

• Slash wrote:

First, AOL is horrible.

Second, AOL isnt free.
  • *Moved to Talk > Apps*

-Q
  • Hah, really? I should pay for that? And I thought new v9,0 is better than all older ones...
  • If anything they're getting WORSE with new versions. Look @ AIM 5.2, and then 5.5, and then the new 5.9!

Fish can give you more detail and a version-by-version breakdown.

-Q
  • Ah I see... 5.2 was the best...
  • Of those 3, but in general it seems like AOL and AIM are going downhill together, AOL 10 and AIM 6 are probably going to come close to killing them.

-Q
  • Fish isn't the only one that can give a version breakdown...
    Yeah, here in the US aol is $23.90 a month. As everyone has been saying, they get worse as they get newer. 6.0 is really the last one I'd bother using. 7.0 had gayohell radio which didn't even work yet, 8.0 included more junk (and some new spyware), 9.0 continues the spyware tradition by including more (it won't turn on if they aren't installed). Also, 7-9 just take up more and more ram. And now there are two versions of 9.0. The second edtion has an aol dialer (haven't tested it, but I did test the beta, got cable before the full version came out).
  • Slash I wish you could use AOL but you can't I'm sure.
    It is very horrible.
    They would almost certainly give you up to three free
    months and then you could quit.
    I had to use it here until broadband was available.
    If you could use it you should install it on an older version of
    Windows with Internet Explorer 5.0 and after AOL messed it
    up you could install the 5.5 update and it works much better.
    Use the oldest version of AOL that would work as they got more
    invasive with each new version.
    You have to have their program installed to get on the net
    with their service. It doesn't work on Linux although I once
    saw an old workaround. It arbitrarily changes your settings
    and installs all it's own stuff as default. It often wreaks the
    system and things begin to deteriate from there. If you can't
    get free time it would be crazy to install it.
    Thump
  • An update to AOL 9 (you might call it 9.5) includes a nifty seperate dialer. I only beta-tested it, though, rather than upgrade. I'm lazy. People think AOL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everybody here has that or SBC Yahoo! DSL, or "High Speed Cable Internet".
  • we had AOL in early 94, I dont recall using it (altho that could be me in the AOL commercials with the hammer hitting shit), but thats the only time we had AOL and we HATED IT!
  • i feel sorry for someone at school who thinks the best ISPs ever are AOL and NTL (fail)

NTL's "technical support" helpline isnt a helpline, its a pay-per-listen radio station lmao
  • LOL @ NTLs help! That sounds something like Comcasts helpline! It's got this "unusuall" music.

And Slash,

AOL.gif

Even "Omskelecom" can do better!

-Q
  • Yea AOL is p-o-o-r. We dumped that and have Compuserve for when I need dialup... but it's almost as bad.
  • Hey isn't IE the worst browser in the world then?
  • AOLs brower is pretty bad, I think it's based off of IE. And AOL has recently said that they would stop use Netscape and ship instead IE with their AOLs.

-Q
  • Netscape is a perfect browser! I used to like it some yrs ago...
  • Hey, netscape aint bad. Dont forget its based off mozilla. It has gotten a little more stupid lately, much more n00b, but early versions like 3 and 4 were good in the day.
  • Slash wrote:

NOOOO for the love of god dont, PLEASE. AOL is NOT cool, and if you havent ever used the service, canceling it after the free period can be a REAL pain the the arse.
  • Ok. Someone lied me that AOL9 is a fast good and compatible browser...
    Will NOT install it.
  • nightice wrote:
    Everybody here has that or SBC Yahoo! DSL, or "High Speed Cable Internet".

Apart from different names and compnaies, I think that's ALL that most people can easily get: dailup, Cable, or DSL.

-Q
  • No... it's hard to get DSL or Cable here...
  • Well, what I mean is that whenever you go to a place, probably the vast majority of the people online will have 1 of those 3 types of service. In Omsk it will probably be ~98% dailup, here it is more like ~75% Cable, ~25% dailup.

-Q
  • I think only huge companies and very rich people can allow themselves to get Cables...
  • Maybe in your area, but around here, cable is widely used (And yes Fish this time I think I actually know what I'm talking about!).

-Q
  • In my area cable is used much more often over DSL (as it sucks in my area), but many people have dial-up, or no internet connection at all.