Installing nt 4 , but can it be done with.....

edited November 2004 in Software
hey guys thanks to Q in 30 minutes ill ahve nt 4 WS, and ill put it ont he laptop, but i just read in a com mag that the largest partition it can support is 4gb. the hard drive is 10 gb, is ther any way to get it to install on ONE 10 gb partition or so i need to fdisk it into pieces . thanks ~ justin

Comments

• NT4 doesn't support FAT32, so you're limited to the biggest size FAT16 will support. There may be unconventional ways around that, I don't know (Or NTFS! :D;) (I can't beleive I forgot that ::roll:!)).

-Q
  • small problem jsut came up, the floppy and the cd rom are hot swap , so i cant use both at them same time. I beleive i could copy th i386 folder tot he hd of the laptop but i forget the xcopy command to copy all the dir and sub dir to the c: i used a boot cd rom and it loads diagnostic tools to d: and pushed cd rom to e: anyone know the command im looking for. thnaks
  • No (Which is sad because I used to, but they probably do ;)

-Q
  • i DO , however have a USB floppy drive , is there any way to have generic usb drivers in dos
  • Yea... Dos7.10 supports USB Drives.
    But NT 4 doesn't
  • there may be an option in the BOIS to emulate a real floppy drive with a USB one (i dunno whether this exists but i know it can be done with USB keyboards ;) )
  • I doubt that, at least I never heard about what you said, BOD.
  • Here's what I did:
    1. Boot with a WinXP or Win2000 cd.
    2. Continue with installation
    3. For the disk partition page, create partitions as you wish (do NOT ise FAT 32) The largest NT will read is 8.4GB, so start small.
    4. Once finished, EXIT THE INSTALL!!! Don't worry about formatting the drives as of yet.
    5. Boot with NT CD and you are good to go.

That's how I did it.
  • small problem jsut came up, the floppy and the cd rom are hot swap , so i cant use both at them same time. I beleive i could copy th i386 folder tot he hd of the laptop but i forget the xcopy command to copy all the dir and sub dir to the c: i used a boot cd rom and it loads diagnostic tools to d: and pushed cd rom to e: anyone know the command im looking for. thnaks

It sounds like the diagnostics are on a ramdisk or something, it's ok to take the cd out and put in the nt cd. From there, just:
    e:
    cd i386
    winnt

• or, just take the ramdrive entry out of config.sys and autoexec.bat
  • ok heres what i did so far:
    - dled nt 4 setup disks off net
    - copied the i386 folder to the hd and now i hope to install it from there
  • I don't have time to test that for you, but there's no reason i can think of that it won't work....unless.....the i386 folder is on a FAT16 partition, right?
  • It should certainly work.... Im sure...
  • nightice wrote:
    I don't have time to test that for you, but there's no reason i can think of that it won't work....unless.....the i386 folder is on a FAT16 partition, right?
    You can put it on an 8.4 GB NTFS partition if you know how to do it right. SP3+ for NT 4 will enable the usage of larger hard disks.
  • the only problem im facing now is the stupid hotswap, when i insert the 3rd setup disk it searches for the cd rom, but i cant pu the cd rom in cause the floppy is in t here :(

PS: i put dos 7.10 on there , if insert the floppy usb will it be able to pick it up under dos and can the winnt setup recognize it, what drive letter would it be designated
  • the only problem im facing now is the stupid hotswap, when i insert the 3rd setup disk it searches for the cd rom, but i cant pu the cd rom in cause the floppy is in t here :(

I can't understand what you are saying here...
  • what im saying is, the cd rom and the floppy drive go in thesame drive bay so only one can be used at the time (hotswap), ive copied the i386 folder for winnt on the hard drive and YEs its fat 16. I downloaded 3 setup disks for nt off the net. and in order to used them i needed to put the floppy drive in and take the cd rom out. so one the floppys are in it goes through normal procedure until the 3rd setup disk , where it proceeds to load the win nt something file, executive or soemthing , then it bringsup a meeage that the cd rom drive cannot be located, so setup cannot contine.
  • Ok. Why is your floppy drive and cdrom drive in the same bay? Maybe if you seperated them, the setup could work.
  • cause there is ONLY ONE drive bay. thanks to having a too thin laptop
  • I may need NT4 for an older ThinkPad laptop... is it on WinW, Q?

What would be better for a P133 w/ 32MB RAM... W95...98....or NT4?
  • For 32 MB of RAM, I would recommend Windows 95. I'm not sure about NT 4 though... Windows 98 will run slow with that kind of memory.
  • I ran Win98 SE on a 75mhz notebook wiht 16mb memory and it worked good.
  • Topher wrote:
    I ran Win98 SE on a 75mhz notebook wiht 16mb memory and it worked good.

Yeah, but just how slow was it?
  • trainer4 wrote:
    Topher wrote:

Obviously insanely slow LOL

I installed 98FE on my 75MHz laptop... 16MB RAM... it took like 4 minutes to boot..
  • trainer4 wrote:
    Topher wrote:

Obviously insanely slow LOL

I installed 98FE on my 75MHz laptop... 16MB RAM... it took like 4 minutes to boot..

Then I would just go with Windows 95B or 95C.
  • It was a tad slow, but not TOO slow, like 1 minute to boot.
  • then windos 95 b would be cool, hey it would a hell lot easier to put that on the laptop how big would a 95b cd be cause i have a term paper in history to do tonight and i need a os for the laptop, could any one point me in the direction of 95b i have 95 orig and 95 a but i need usb supprt even if its not much cause i only need usn for a printer
  • Firstly, USB support was added in 95C and check WinWorld out. They might have it. The Windows 95 folder (win95) is only about 50mb big...
  • wasnt usb an add on for B , i was hoping to get that off the net. The time i checked the size od 95 cwas 375 mb caue i thinks its the whole cd. if this is true could i please pelase please ahve the 50mb win folder if the one on WW is juse that folder ill get it.
  • yea there was an add-on for b, as well as a cool hovercraft gane LOL