BIOS flashing.....

BODBOD
edited November 2004 in Hardware
i need to update the bios on my mobo (asrock K7S8X) to support my sempron, only problem is the described procedure involves using a floppy disc drive, which i dont have. is there anyway around this or will i have to butcher my server?

BIOS Instructions

BIOS Downloads

Comments

• I would think a CD would work BUT i dont gaurentee anything.

PLEASE wait for more input.
  • i'm planning to .....
  • as long as theres nothing that ahs to be wrote back to the input device like the floppy then ti should work drom cd, NOTE: you might have to mod it so it runs from a cd instead of flop. IE: pathnames, configuring etc.
  • I'd just get the floppy from the svr to avoid butchering the Semp's board...
  • You have no guaranties that it will work after all, but you may try....
    Or you may butcher your server...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *gulps* here goes rebooting now
  • well... good luck!
  • it didnt work :?
    [PMODE/W]: Unrecognized Fixup Data!

• Ooooh... awful...
    I warned you, warned you not once, DO NOT flash your BIOS by yourself!

I hope you can restore it.
  • You can use a cd, but make sure when booting from it, that nothing else loads! My suggestion, use Safe Mode command prompt (if using an ebd). Then flash the bios.
  • it didnt flash, so it's still working :D
  • BOD wrote:
    it didnt flash, so it's still working :D
    "Still working"?
    It even boots after all these...?
  • Slash... the flashing program couldn't flash, it didn't alter the bios at all.
    I'd get a floppy drive, the program probably wants to make a backup of the current bios in the event that something goes wrong, so it will need a floppy to be written on.
  • i just "borrowed" a floppy drive form my bros comp and the same thing happened
  • You sure you downloaded the right update for your board, and that it didn't corrupt somewhere?

-Q
  • tommorow im going to try d/ling everything again, and maby the one-before-latest update
  • yeah, I downloaded the things for my board for my pentium, the program said I didn't have an AMIBIOS, when in fact.... I can see it clearly labeled.
  • How old is it? Maybe the flasher doesn't like things that old? Or maybe someone just stuck an AMI label on it.

-Q
  • The label is... printed onto the plastic, it isn't a sticker. I downloaded it with a flasher... one little package, had the update and the flasher.