Information screen in win2k

edited November 2004 in Software
Yeah, how do you make the information screen appear in the Windows 2000 startup screen (boot)?

Comments

• add /sos to it in the boot.ini
  • "the information screen"?
  • Do what Fish said (Didn't I teach you that :D) and restart 2000/XP/2003. If you've used NT it should look familar.

-Q
  • "the information screen"?

I think they mean this:

Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 4.0 (Build 1381: Service Pack 6).
    1 System Processor [64 MB Memory]

right?
  • Exactly, but in 2000 it's:

Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 5.0 (BUild 2195: Service Pack 4)
    1 System Processor [1024 MB Memory]

And then it checks the disks.

-Q
  • well all i've seen is NT 4's not 2000's or XP's..... i would have thought they would have called it 2000 instead of NT 5... oh well
  • In XP it's just "Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) Version 5.1", they dropped then NT after they killed 9x.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It also displays this, instead of this, which is what everyone was asking about.

-Q
  • I'm not saying it doesn't, I've seen those ~20 files flash by, but noone asked about that. T4 asked about the infoscreen and how to get it in 2000, and that's how you do it, /SOS in BOOT.INI

-Q
  • You get the same effect by choosing Safe Mode, but I haven't seen the "Windows XP (5.1.2600)"...
  • I know its /sos because Ive seen it done many, MANY times, Tom...
  • It does more then JUST list drivers @ startup, and that's what ppl were asking about.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    As in just a driver listing. Like starting in Safe Mode.

(fail)

Why?
  • Um, I don't know why you're getting so worked up over this, especially because it has NOTHING to do with what T4 asked for, which was the information screen, which is displayed by adding /SOS to the boot.ini.

-Q
  • Um, we all know that it lists drivers, but if you look @ what you get RIGHT AFTER the driver list, you'll see something that looks alot like NT4s bootup, the "Information screen" of this topic.

-Q
  • Tom, your right
    Fish, your right.

It does BOTH.

it 1st lists 20 or so drivers, then for the rest of the bootup it shows the Information screen, surrounded by banners on top and bottom.
  • Q wrote:
    It does more then JUST list drivers @ startup, and that's what ppl were asking about.

There's MORE to /SOS then JUST the driver listing (Yes, it shows the list of drivers, noones saying it doesn't), and you still fail to get THAT. Look @ what you get AFTER the driver listing, THAT'S what this is ALL ABOUT. Noone here cares about the drivers, he wanted the information screen, which you ALSO get with /SOS.

What's so hard about that?

-Q
  • Tom did you try it on windows 2000? or XP? i doubt that it matters but that might be the difference i'm about to try this myself.... and see what i get
  • Did you want and see what you got AFTER the drivers? Everyone else here gets an infoscreen, I'd be interested to see what you get the drivers. If the autochk on a black screen or the GINA sequence then you probably went past the IS to fast to see it.

-Q
  • okay i just did it in windows 2000 and got a driver listing first then a info screen which is exactly what Q said it would do.... tomchu if you tried this in XP and didn't get then your the one being retarded since were not talking about XP :razz:

the OS this thread is about is windows 2000

Microsoft (r) windows 2000 (r) version 5.0 (build 2195: service Pack 4)

EDIT:

<anonymous> lol somethings not right.
    <me> there probably is a info screen in XP it just goes by too uickly
    <anonymous> yeah...
    <anonymous> xp loads a lot of drivers
    <anonymous> so you can't see it...
    <anonymous> i've done way too many times

see tom? do it in windows 2000 and you'll see it.... if your gonna do it on XP do it on a slower system... yours just went by too fast for you to see it
    [/code]
This discussion has been closed.