Longhorn Rumors: What's true and what isn't

edited December 2004 in Software
Ok. I have read some rumors about Windows Longhorn online and, from what I could decipher, Here is what is believed to be true:

1. It will most likely be released sometime mid 2006
2. There is word from Microsoft that IT WILL BE ABANDONING THE NT PLATFORM BEFORE LONGHORN'S FINAL RELEASE. It will most likely keep the version of Windows 6.0, but the entire NT based platform will be abandoned. This means it will be based on an entirely new platform. So, I don't know what else is going to come, but for right now, it is NT based.
3. There will be a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of its release.
More Rumors to come.

Feel free to post any news or more rumors you have heard in here.

*Note: I'm not sure that any of this is 100% accurate, but it is very close. I hold NO responsibility of what is posted. These are rumors entirely and are not official until said so by Microsoft.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's not BS! There is a whole new File system for Longhorn. The NTFS won't be used for much longer for it. But it i NT 6 for right now.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    #2 is bullshit. Complete bullshit. I can't believe you even posted that. LOL

Tom is Right.

AND, NTFS isint going away, from WHAT i HEARD, WinFS is NTFS with a SQL based Indexing service for your files. AND its not comming out in the release BUT comming as an addon.
  • Evidently WinFS is going to be delayed. I think what you meant was "NTFS", not "NT".

-Q

PS. O BTW this doesn't look like support. *Moved to Talk > Windows*
  • He just got the name wrong, I don't think he really thought it was going to be something completely new. And also note, it was "word from Microsoft", which couldn't been some offhand joke that got picked up and passed on as Gospel truth, as rumors generally are :wink:

-Q
  • Longhorn now looks totally like other NT's
    But who knows, what MS will do with Longhorn in future!
  • I can't give a source but I read that Microsoft had originally intended
    to have the new file system in place by the time of the release but
    have since delayed it. They have not abandoned the idea and still
    mean to but not in time for the release.
    Thump
  • Yeah, aparently the delays are due to them all rushing XP SP2 out to us. What is the NTFS's theoretical maximum partition size? When hard drives start getting to that point, then they will think about a new file system, or revamping NTFS.
  • No. NTFS has a lot more disadvantages...
    First it's slow
    Second it's not very secure (I agree, its better than fat, but not perfect)
    And so on...
    So I guess NTFS will soon die.
  • Yeah, aparently the delays are due to them all rushing XP SP2 out to us. What is the NTFS's theoretical maximum partition size? When hard drives start getting to that point, then they will think about a new file system, or revamping NTFS.

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes. 18 billion gigs. I think we'll be fine for a while. I also don't find NTFS to be slow, but rather find compatibility (with DOS and Linux) to be an issue.
  • NTFS is secure, if dont want my bro to access half of his HDD he wont :P
  • Yes, it is quite secure and 18 billion gigs... FAT can't do that...and since the dos kernel isn't being used anymore by MS... I don't expect to see an FAT64.
    Isn't there encryption on some version of NTFS? NTFS 5 was the first one with it, but what OS does that version of the file system correspond with, 2000?
  • yeh NTFS can encrypt
  • I don't think Slash was saying FAT was BETTER then NTFS, only that he thought those were problems in general.

The DOS readability is an issue for bootdisks and other OSes.

NTFS 5 (2000) and maybe older versions could encrypt files (Referred to as EFS). I helped Fish with that when before he had Verizon and was scared of Qwest.

-Q
  • Why? If you're using Longhorn you shouldn't need to use DOS.

If you fuck up, you can use the repair concole on the Windows CD or get something like NTFS DOS. Works fine for me.
  • Recovery Consolse came across as a badly watered down and very terse version of DOS 5 or 6 when I tried to use it.

I've never used NTFS for DOS though.

-Q
  • Yeah, I think I have NTFS for dos somewhere... but I've never used it.
  • Speaking of DOS 5, the early NT boot sectors had that OEM string, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on DOS 5 and still is.
  • No. FaT isn't any better than NTFS.
    However, NTFS has some security issues.
    You cannot set some permissions that you can set in Linux.
    And sometimes set permissions is not working at all>
  • True, but there is more then one FS that Linux uses, NT has... NTFS.

Yes, the RC has more functionality then DOS, but I found it to be VERY terse.

-Q
  • So, Tom, you say that NTFS is more secure than reiser 4.4.x?
  • HaH! I was thinking about RieserFS, but didn't know about it so just left it in my mind.

-Q
  • But... do 95% of people and buissinesses need ACLs?

-Q