Virtual PC and Windows 3.11

edited January 2005 in Software
Guys please give me your opinion, im not sure if this is in the right spot, but windows 3.11 is intalled with 16 colors, i know it supports 256 colors im not sure if it can higher. windows 3.11/ dos is on my virtual pc. is there a way to give it more colors and possibably sound. ~ Justin

Comments

• Look @ the VPC help file to see what hardware it emulates, then look for a driver for it.

-Q

PS. Actually, there are better places. *Moved to Windows Support*
  • It uses some S3 card. Get an S3 generic driver and see what happens.
  • Just install S3 trio drivers and you'll get much more colors.
  • I think I have some Trio64V+ drivers somewhere...
  • put up a link! ive been looking for (working ones) for months!
  • I have. IM me if you need.
  • www.driverguide.com
    they have drivers for almost anything...
  • I did this as well, you do need the S3 Trio drivers as listed above. You can get it to run at high res true color fine.

Are you able to get sound and internet working too?
  • Annorax wrote:
    I did this as well, you do need the S3 Trio drivers as listed above. You can get it to run at high res true color fine.

Are you able to get sound and internet working too?
    My sound and internet works pretty good from WFW3.11 on a Virtual Machine...
  • When I got my Windows 3.11 to work, it was pretty impressive, I didn't know it could handle high res graphics and all that. The only thing I could never get to work is my mouse scroll wheel...
  • www.driverguide.com
    they have drivers for almost anything...
    when winworld was down earlier, i was at old os looking for ie5 (opera cant handle some pages) and they have all the drivers for Vpc in 3.11 try loooking htere.
  • ^ does old os have the drivers for win 3.11 or driverguide
  • I said you can IM me if you need that drivers...
  • Oh, nevermind here is the link:
    http://slash-net3x.narod.ru/S3DRV.rar
    I hope you know how to apply them
  • thanks slash its dling now, well its been swhile since i installed drivers in 3.x, but isnt it somewheres in windows setup in the main group or somthing?
  • Exit Windows and open setup.exe from Windows folder.
  • Or you can copy the files directly in Win3.11 installation folder.
  • when i went into setup i chose dicsk by manufacturer - but that display brings up all these drivers by SG Trio or soemthing how do i know which one to use?
  • It shows a list of available resolutions you can use. Choose best for you, for example, S3 Trio Large Fonts 1024x768 and you are done!
  • excellent thanks slash, now if only if i could get the soudn and the internet to work in it somehow :P
  • Sound? It's easy.
    Install soundblaster 1.5 drivers that come with windows 3.1x
    And use MSIE2.0 or later to be able to use internet from 3.1x...
  • ^ but wont i need to install a modem in 3.x b4 that?
  • Without IE you are not able to install a modem in 3.x because the modem installation wizard comes with IE.
  • You have WFW right? Find DEC 21140 drivers.
  • err... yeah use network drivers, you can use NAT and get the VM directly online.
  • thanks for the help guys, but ive decided to put windows 3.11 on my armada 1700 laptop. since it serves no other purpose since i have a never one.
  • Is it Windows for Workgroups?
  • I think it's just plain 3.11.

-Q
  • yup ^ well it was was 3.1 but i got the update to make it 3.11 but no fancy networking abilities