Ram combiner?

edited December 2004 in Hardware
hello, I have a computer that only has two ram slots, and it only accepts matched pairs or one stick evidently. I was wondering if there was a device in existence that would allow multiple sticks to plug into it, then it goes into the ram slot. I know there were things like this for 30 pin to 72 pin ram, but how about multiple 168 pin sticks plugging into one 168 pin slot... it may sound crazy I know, but it would be nice if such an thing exists and if I could find out where to get one (or two).

Comments

• I do know what you're talking about as far as the old SIMM combiners, but I don't know what they have these days.

-Q

PS. This is a support-ish question, so... *Moved to HW Support*
  • Yeah, I heard of such device but have never seen it in reality.

Is it this one: http://phantom.sannata.ru/html/devces/ocmp.htm ?
  • heh... lets see what this page shows translated... I got a 404 before translating, then it redirected to the main page (I guess).
  • It 404's then takes me to a home page
  • Hell... seems they've removed the article...
  • Oh well... it probably wouldn't be that efficient if it did exist. The machine I am working on is being set up as a dedicated UT 2004 server. Since my two friends who also came up with the idea only have slow dsl, it's on my network. It has an intel 810E chipset (my mini has an 810, so everything is rougly the same). Only 3 PCI slots, and no ISA. The power switch is damaged somehow. After trying to figure out why the machine goes crazy as soon as I plug in the power cord and getting no where, the friend who the computer came from suddenly remembers that the reset button now has to be held before powering up... Well on top of that there seems to be something else not quite right. I have it plugged into a KVM switch with my mini. I noticed that the computer will power on just by trying to switch to it (my mini doesn't turn on when switched to, so it seems like something isn't right).

Also, asside from that, the machine needed ram and a hard drive. My other friend supplied an 80GB hard drive he received for something, but never used much. As I try formatting it (a maxtor with SMART tech) damaged sectors come up which made some very loud sounds..... I've overlooked the damaged sectors but when the computer powers up, the hard drive reports to the bios that it is damaged and wants to be replaced... after pressing F1 it carries on though.

I supplied the ram (the best I could). Since this was taking the place where my pentium was, I gave it my pentiums 192MB (128 + 64). It seems that it only accepts matched pairs that drops it to 128. Running a UT server on only 128MB hurts... but that will be fixed sometime (probably after x-mas).

On top of all that, the PSU itself is LOUD!!! It's a micro-atx (I think) and only 145w, but it is way too loud, that has to be replaced soon too.

Guess it's a system that needs work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Get a new hard drive, because that one will die shortly. As for RAM, it's probably not matched pairs, but just an incompatibility with the 64 MB stick.

I have 2x256 MB SD-RAM sticks that I'm not using. I'd be willing to sell them.
    That's an odd incompatibility... I guess my pentium is more lenient with ram (I think the 64 is PC100 while the 128 is PC133, not too sure though). So about those sticks... what's your price? Me and the other few mooching off me for bandwidth should be able to buy one or two.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    How is $85 US for both?

$85 for both?!?! My brother got 2x256MB sticks for only $72 at my local CompUSA store... Your prices are a bit too high.... I'd go with $75
  • they might be some brand ones not generic
  • $85 is a good deal if it's a good brand.

I got 512M of DDR333 for about $100. and SDRAM is more expensive.
  • In Russia the prices are much lower...
  • I've seen memory add-oin cards that let you add more memory. Not sure if they made any that supports DDR yet.

Check out www.pricewatch.com for some cheap namebrand memory.
  • www.pricewatch.com you say...
    How can I get something from there?
    Please explain what I need for that.
  • pricewatch.com is basicly a search engine that searchs over thousands of E-Stores on the net and lists them by price. So for a example you want a stick of memory that is 128MB and it's made from PNY. Just go on the little search engine on the top of the site and type in PNY 128MB SDRAM PC133 and you will get a list of E-Stores selling it. Or if you don't care about what brand you can just manualy look though the list and find the size and speed of memory you want for the price you want.
  • And how they will deliver it to me?
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I've seen memory add-oin cards that let you add more memory. Not sure if they made any that supports DDR yet.

Check out www.pricewatch.com for some cheap namebrand memory.
    Where have you seen these add on cards? I don't need DDR, I need PC100/133 SDRAM.
  • Don't you have an old-hardware trade center in your city?
    For me it's not a problem to get such things
  • Slash wrote:
    Don't you have an old-hardware trade center in your city?
    For me it's not a problem to get such things
    Wha??? There's nothing in my city lol...
  • And a bazaar when people send old crap for a little sum? Is there anything like this?
  • theres a market but that gets shutdown in 3 months, its all fruit anyways
  • Yeah... a market... behind the fruits and other crap we can see a lot of old people standing near tons of old crappy hardware.
    Sometimes you can get something valuable there.
  • Nope, I don't have anything like that. There is a couple little computer stores, but I haven't explored them. Usually I just ebay computer parts.
  • Slash, Omsk is like no city we've ever seen, except maybe the Swedes or Mental.

-Q
  • I see. But I wonder how to get some crap from eBay?
    How they will deliver it to you?
  • I've never gotten anything from them, I don't know.

-Q
  • Usually things from ebay come USPS or UPS. I only buy things from within the US. Though if I really wanted, I suppose items from canada won't be too hard to arrange shipment.
  • Shipping from Canada is expensive though. Most things you can get from US unless it's rare.

Usually I find shit from Canada that's cheap but when I add on the shipping, it's the same as the higher priced stuff from the US.