Live Distributions

edited November 2004 in Software
What about them. Have you taste any? What you like or not about it?.

Comments

• How do you mean 'Live'? Live as in still in development? or those 'Live Eval's that let you run the OS off of a CD?

-Q
  • Live Cd Evaluation that lets you run an OS on your pc.

EX. Knoppix.-. DemoLinux .-.

Have you used or tasted any-thing alike?

Sorry about the above, i didn't log in. I will take care next time.
  • I've used SuSE 9 live eval CD, it is an OK flav, but there are a few problems:

Since there is the CD inaddition to the HDs and any removable stuff, there are many more mounted filesystems.

You can't really update the OS

It drops 2 100MB files to the 1st readable HD partition.

-Q
  • Knoppix:

Because *nix, *bsd, Debian(I don't know others), need a swap partition, they create those files necessary for the OS to work properly. However, if anyone has a "*nix, *bsd, Debian" already installed, should be a Swap partition available and the Knoppix will not create any. In Addition, new files, programs or changes should have some place to be; and that is why these new no-other-application-relate-fies-types are created, to let the knoppix know the user preferences and new stuffs.

Note to Q: I bet your knoppix boot and create these files in a Windows/Fat partition?
  • Yep, it finds the 1st FAT(32) partition and dumps suselive.900 and suselive.usr (100MB each, I belive) to the \ dir.

-Q

PS. Live flavs are good to disaster/compromise recovery/analisys.
  • It's really true that live-distros are mostly for tweak-ing or repairing purposes. :shock: :idea: :!:
  • For those who like Knoppix, which is spectacular on it's own accord :) try MEPIS. Built on Debian, and even more refined than Knoppix. I keep copies of both in my car, cause ya never know :) when ya need to do some work.
  • I have knoppix, and I recommend it to others if they want to try linux. It is also a great compatability check for your pc.
  • I WAS gettting it off ef BitTorrent until that killed my Inet conn. I'm on the Mactop now.

I'll resume it in a minute, just hope I'm not near 100GB... :cry:

-Q
  • If you have been around the linux road before and know the basic compiling commands try Gentoo Linux. It seems to be a promising nix.
  • Talking about live distros, these one is about to blow out "PClinuxOS". Its called the only 'Linux' distro to support Nvidia Video cards and +, so all who can give it a try.
    Note: A first class developer in the mandrake soft community made this live-distro, so got to be good, indeed.

R-URL
    ::: ::: :http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/pclinuxos/live-d/english/preview/::: :::
    :lol: :twisted: :arrow: :arrow:
  • theres a live-eval distro of linux that fits on a 64mb usb flash drive
  • Aren't there Linux's that fit on floppy disks, too?
  • Yea, very minimal, ofcourse, but still valuable I think.

-Q
  • floppy disks?
    yeah but they're mostly for use as firewalls and routers.
    or their just command line tools
  • For routers, try FreeSCO.

Its almost like a sisco router!
  • Hmmm... maybe I should use that instead of my Belkin router. Are they good routers?

What distros do you guys recommend for that purpose?
  • PC routers suck, just get a regular hardware router
  • Hmph... guess so. Why are they so bad?
  • Just a waste of electricity and waste of space.
  • Ok.....

Some stuff they can do is cool, like load balancing.
  • WHY the hell would you want to do that!
  • Well, if I ever got two ISP's, a combo of DSL or cable, then I would. lol
  • why would you do that now..
  • Look IBM, I'd actually USE a Cisco router before slagging it. You can do amazing stuff with them.

-Q
  • Yeah seriously. IBM said that yesterday to me "Cisco is gay" or something, and I was like "Uhh IBM... Cisco is like the BIGGEST networking company EVER... so you should think before you speak"
  • Yeah seriously. IBM said that yesterday to me "Cisco is gay" or something, and I was like "Uhh IBM... Cisco is like the BIGGEST networking company EVER... so you should think before you speak"

I just said its wierd that they use Towers as Macintoshs :-P
  • Useing a PC router is just like a real router. They come in handy for rack servers or for cheap networks.
  • edited June 2004
    Yeah, IBM. Fish, Q, and TCP know more than we do. You need to accept that!

I know Cisco is an extraordinary company- that's why I'm estatic about getting my Cisco cert while still in HS.

Cisco is awesome. You get what you pay for, as always.

PLUS, Linksys is made/owned by Cisco, and we know they're the best for home networking stuff.
  • Cisco is a GREAT co, they actually RESPECT standards.

-Q