Randomly losing connection

edited January 2005 in Software
Alright, this is really weird....occasionally ffx will randomly stop working, it can't look up any sites. This seems like it affects all mozilla-type browsers, netscape and moz suite have the same problem. Interestingly, when ffx drops out, ns and moz will stop too. I haven't tried IE (guess why) but it probably doesn't have the same problem. AIM still works. IE2 in VPC works. Things like WS_FTP work. So, what the hell is up? I hate having to reboot every couple hours.

Comments

• Is it all connections? Can you use them to access local network stuff?

-Q

PS. Does IE work?
  • I can access my router and modem. (192.168.x.1). I haven't used IE in forever, namely because Spybot still keeps finding all sorts of crap. It was all from one quick incident on AOL, in which I should have realized I could have turned off the PC and probably saved it.

EDIT: I'm not the only one. Apparently, it at least partially went away with the latest nightlies.
  • It actually affects all of Windows. So, I put in my Knoppix CD last night, and...voila! Didn't shut off!
  • uh... what Knoppix was it?
  • clear the DNS cache
  • Use InternetTweak from Magellass.
    It has an option to clear the dns cache.
  • so does ipconfig /flushdns

and a restart
  • The ipconfig one didn't work. I'll go try InternetTweak (tho I don't really like the sound of that name...)
  • What's wrong with that name? :P
  • Sounds like one of those cheap programs that are more spyware than software and are distributed entirely through popups.
  • Ah... you may be wrong.
  • 1. There's no option to flush the DNS cache
    2. BOD - you need to do it with /registerdns first, then /flushdns.