Windows 95 Original on a CD?

edited December 2004 in Software
Is it possible? (Or am I insane?)

I've tried before, but I haven't succeeded. (fail)

Comments

• You'll have to stick it all in the CD root and make it bootable in a way that the CD is A:\ on startup, because I think that's where it looks for the CABs.

-Q
  • Okay. I have the CD. How do I make the CD bootable?
  • Add the DOS boot files and (somehow) make it a bootable disk, how I don't know.

-Q
  • Doesn't need to be bootable. Use a DOS bootdisk with CD-ROM drivers.
  • Peter wrote:
    How do I make the CD bootable?

I was just (attempting) answering his question.

-Q
  • With Nero you can use a bootdisk or a bootdisk floppy image and make the CD bootable. Or you can mix and match the Win95 OSR2.1 files with the Win95a files. It's hard to explain but theres a few files you can edit and change what files go on what floppy but also you can make it to all be on one storage device.
  • Steve wrote:
    Doesn't need to be bootable. Use a DOS bootdisk with CD-ROM drivers.

I have a DOS bootdisk and CD drivers, but that won't help any. (Asks to insert disk and refuses to continue, even if the path is drive D and the files are all there.)
  • That is odd. I put my floppy version on CD and it installed.

But........Maby my floppies were just the CD version devided up onto floppies...... I can't remember where I downloaded them from.
  • Uh - Which version do you have?
  • Use any bootable floppy... what's the problem?
  • I use Cd-mate to make bootable cds with floppy images, you could use a 95 boot disk and have a cd burn with that as a bootable image.
  • Or you may fit more than one windows version and make a multi-boot CD!
  • Which is exactly my plan...
  • Uh - I was hoping not to download the giant files... And is there any helpful freeware?