need help

edited December 2004 in Software
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this... but hell why not
I am at a loss, I am running 2 computer with XP Pro. I am trying at access the files on computer B from computer A but it keeps telling me I do not have access. I was able to do this about a year ago, But moved back in may and reformatted one on the computers. Can someone please help me with this, where I will have full access to one computer from another computer. and yes I do have file/ print shareing on... i can only get access to the shared folder. I use to be able to get into all of the file on computer B from computer A

Comments

• It may be that you have simple file sharing enabled on one computer, but not on the other, or a problem with the guest account. Some of the other guys may elablorate on this, i'm not much use at XP.

And shouldn't this topic be in the Windows NT support?
  • make sure that the files sharing persmissions are set to everyone, and also it helps if the user accounts are the same name on both machines
  • Have you changed your services @ all?

And, how are you trying to connect from 1 machine to another?

-Q
  • I am connecting to one computer to another through a router. I dont know, I am not worried about it right now. I went with Linux on my box last night, not if I can only get java to work on that I will be sent. Really sucks trying to do something, and you have no clue on how to do it
  • are both machines set to be on the same workgroup/domain? Are you trying to get the files as maped network drive?
  • Yes both PC are the same workgroup, I was trying to get to the files thru networkplaces. I got rid of LINUX and went back to xp pro last night. I didnt have a change to play with anything lastnight.... (damn updates) maybe tonight, What is I turned on remote desktop on both of the pc's, can I go that way? that way I can log on as the admin on the pc I am trying to get on???
  • Yea, but it sounds like you want to be able to access the shared folders of one machine on the other system, that correct?

-Q
  • Q, yes, I use to be able to have access to all files ( user/system) from one system to another, now when I try to go into anything but a shared or a new folder it tell me I do not have access contact your sys administrator, I do not remember how I set the access maybe it was thru policys . I know it is something easy and stupid I am missing
  • How are you trying to access the other one? My Network Places? The Run box? a mapped drive?

-Q
  • Sorry Q thru my network places
  • Try going to Start > Run and typing it \\IPAddressOfTheOtherMachine and see what happens.

-Q
  • q when i go to run and type \\other computer name it shows me all the files, let says if I wanted to go into c:\123 it will tell me I do not have permission to access and to see the administrator
  • Try \\OtherCompName\C$ and see what happens, if it asks for a name, give it the administrator and pass of the OTHER computer.

-Q

PS. If it's a blank pass, change it, Windows wont let you use a username over the netwk if it has a blank passwd.
  • when I do that it will only give me name of other computer\guest for a log in
  • Can you type in the adminstrator account/pass for the other computer?

-Q
  • nope it wont let me...
  • I would show you what it is doing but I dont know how to post the screen print here
  • Hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard, open Paint, Edit > Paste, save as a PNG or JPEG, then goto http://skycache.com/ and upload it there. When it gives you the "BBCode" option, copy and paste that here.

-Q
  • Try \\upstairs\C$ instead of just c

-Q
  • still only giving me guest name only.... damn and I thought i got all the computer names!!!! LOL
  • Hey Q thanks for all of your help, but dont worry about it.... Can you please kill this thread?
  • Figured it out?

-Q
  • no just tired of playing with it tonight... I think I am going to do some reading and set an ftp up...hmmm I can see the 10 o clock news now... Internet user crashes the internet
  • that the message i always got when i tried to network for the first time.... it sounds wierd but uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC drivers actually fixed it....

also when i made a share on a 2000 system it gave some access denied message.... but i had set it to everyone..... also enable guest account on both PC's or create the same user on both PCs..... like i use Admin, so make sure that user name is on all PC's.....

its not really hard....
  • thanks for the info, I will try that tonight