how to extract dim files?

edited May 2005 in Software
in the dos1.1 download theres a "dos11.dim" file and well i dont have a 640k drive and it wont write to my 1.4k drive (dim -r A: dos11.dim).

please help,
thanks.

Comments

• You have to reformat the floppy to the size that the image is made to copy onto. Like for a example, you have a floppy that holds 320KB and the images only supports 160KB floppys. Just run in DOS this command.

format A: /F:size

Remember the :size means the size you want, for a exzmple.

format A: /F:160

Heres what sizes you can choose from.

160, 180, 320, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44, 2.88

After you find out what the correct size you need then try using the DIM floppy image.
  • You HAVE to write it to a 5
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The image is for a like 180K disk, and he's trying it on a 1.44M drive, so it's not liking that. I think he just needs to use a 5
  • This is a good question. I’ve had this issue too.

Formatting isn’t the solution. The 160k format is incompatible with 3
  • I did that once, using WinImage.
    Yeah, I used 5
  • Well, you are all WRONG! By using MESS, a multi-emulation system, you can run an emulated 8088/8086/286/386 PC, and run DOS 1.1 from there (once you have put the image on disk, and have backed it up to a .ima file). Like most emulators, however, you need to supply the ROM file for the machine, so that it will run properly.

So, DOS 1.1 is not locked up in time, is it? Plus, you can run IBM Donkey from the disk, and see just how innovative MS really were. The only problem is finding a way to write the .DIM file to disk (I haven't tried it, but RAWWrite might work).
  • interesting, wowzers the last time i used 5 1/4 was on the old epson...... i somewhat wished i had saved the drive and the stack of floppies i had...... but meh
  • I had a dim image of dos 1.1 that I wanted to try on a old 8086, and I had a 486 with 95 and winimage, but no 3 1/4 drive, so I opened up bochs, set B as a 640k drive and as a image, and used A to hold the dim image on another image, and used dos in 95 to convert it using some dos software I found on google (accesses some things that windows will protect, so cant use it in windows) then extracted it to a floppy on the other computer. Long and hard, but worth it. :)