dos 6.22 setup

edited March 2005 in Software
is there a way to install DOS without having to restart?
my computer dont recognize the disks as bootable floppies

Comments

• You mean, it wont boot to a floppy?

-Q
  • put the disk in go to a: and type setup
  • it says press any key to restart your system and setup will begin well i press any key and im back to a prompt
  • Look for some keys of setup.exe.
    I mean, run setup.exe /?
    I think I've seen that there.
  • what happens when you start the computer with no disks in it???
  • bios writes some crap and asks to press F1 to continue.
  • after you hit f1 do you get a c:\
  • No, it's just this animation of a floppy diskette, the drive, and the top row of keys with minor ACSIImation that tells you to stick the diskette in the drive and hit F1.

-Q
  • the C:/> is the DOS prompt, you'll need a dos bootdisk or have it already installed on the hard drive to use it
  • go to bootdisk.com and download a dos disk
  • Sounds like to me his DOS floppy isn't bootable. Thats if he's using a bootdisk then trying to use the DOS install disks.
  • Yeah Iv'e had that happen before.

Try re-aquiring it.
  • I type setup at the A:\> prompt and it says press any key to restart.
    so I restart and it says press any key to restart
  • So you can get to the A:\> prompt, so you CAN boot it up right now? If that's the case then it should be somewhat easy to install DOS.

-Q
  • Can you copy the floppies to a directory on your hard disk, boot from the floppy, access your hard disk, and install from there?

Or, why not use FreeDOS? It comes with a lot more stuff, is legally free, AND comes on a spiffy CD. It's also almost completely binary-compatible - unless you want to run Windows 3.1, in which case you're pretty much stuck with MS-DOS.
  • No. You need the hacked version in order to install from the HD.

You need to boot off the floppy in order to setup.
  • I thought that if you use SUBST to assign A: to a folder on your hard drive, setup could read the files, assuming that it's hard-coded to look in A:. It worked for Windows 1.x/2.x.
  • No. It needs to boot off the floppy.

Even if you open setup.exe, it'll tell you to reboot with the disk in the floppy drive.

You need the hacked version of it. Ask around and you might find it.
  • Steve wrote:
    No. You need the hacked version in order to install from the HD.

You need to boot off the floppy in order to setup.
    Hacked version?
    I am using normal version and always run setup from harddrive.
    Or maybe it's already hacked?
  • When you load it from the floppy disk it should automaticly go into the DOS setup. If it doesn't then theres something wrong.

A long time ago my made a version of DOS that installed off the HD. Basicly it was just a BATCH file copying the files to C:\DOS and then used the attrib command to bless the oi.sys, msdos.sys and the command.com to boot.
  • I'd just copy the files from the 3 disks to C:\DOS, and then try and run SYS C: to make it bootable, but I don't know if SYS will work in that case.

-Q
  • I do exactly the same as Q does.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    When you load it from the floppy disk it should automaticly go into the DOS setup. If it doesn't then theres something wrong.

A long time ago my made a version of DOS that installed off the HD. Basicly it was just a BATCH file copying the files to C:\DOS and then used the attrib command to bless the oi.sys, msdos.sys and the command.com to boot.
    I still have this!!!! (oh god I hope it's still on a cd... as my dead hard drive was the only other place it was on)
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    When you load it from the floppy disk it should automaticly go into the DOS setup. If it doesn't then theres something wrong.

I still have this!!!! (oh god I hope it's still on a cd... as my dead hard drive was the only other place it was on)
    all you need to do is type autoexec at the a:\ sighn
  • TCPMeta wrote:

all you need to do is type autoexec at the a:\ sighn
    at the a:\ promot type autoexec and it should run setup because the command to run setup should be in there
  • at the a:\ promot type autoexec and it should run setup because the command to run setup should be in there

You just said that. You don't have to repeat it. If you want to add something just use the edit button.