wierd-ass bootsector

edited September 2015 in Hardware
The bootsector on the HP's hard drive is acting all funky-like. I can't install any other one. It just shows "GRUB" and stops. I even tried DEBUG to put in the sector, but it didn't work. This is really annoying, seeing as I'm trying to install Windows 2000. Formatting isn't an option.

Comments

• I'm tempted to say FDISK /MBR, but it's been ages since I've used that and I also don't know exactly what that might do with GRUB...

-Q
  • see if the bios can do low level format, it'll take ages but might work
  • I don't care about GRUB. I just want a DOS bootsector. I guess I didn't properly make the partition when I erased the b0rked SuSE install and created the FAT32 partition.
  • run: fixmbr

Works like a charm.
  • Never mind. Not certain what I did, but it got fixed. It'll be kind of wierd seeing Windows 2000 and FreeDOS dual-boot.
  • You had the GRUB bootloader installed into the master boot record. All you had to do was run FDISK /MBR with a DOS or Win9x bootdisk and it would of whipe it out.
  • Or fixmbr on NT disks.
  • use winimage 7.0 pro. It can do this stuff...
    Or FIXMBR from Recovery console.
  • What was really wierd is that for some reason the DOS part of setup couldn't overwrite the MBR. I had to use the BOOT command (included with FreeDOS) to write in c:\$win_nt$.~bt\bootsect.bin.
  • edited December 2004
    OK, Q said first and correctly:
    "'m tempted to say FDISK /MBR, but it's been ages since I've used that and I also don't know exactly what that might do with GRUB...

-Q"
    Now there's no longer a question niteice said:
    I don't care about GRUB. I just want a DOS bootsector. I guess I didn't properly make the partition when I erased the b0rked SuSE install and created the FAT32 partition.
    Now TCPMeta sees that and posts:
    You had the GRUB bootloader installed into the master boot record. All you had to do was run FDISK /MBR with a DOS or Win9x bootdisk and it would of whipe it out.

Exactly right. If there's one thing I've learned about trying
    out Linux it's when you want it to let go and let you live
    again it's FDISK /MBR
    Then you can live normally again.
    He seemed to find some other way. but not the simplest.

guzzle.gif

Thump
  • Fdisk /mbr is the simpliest but it not always works...
  • Especially because I wasn't able to use FreeDOS FDISK to write in the proper MBR.
  • I use debug lol... I have directions I printed out because a hard drive I got from a friend had some DDO installed onto it, and I didn't want to deal with that crap, because it would come up with some boot menu, as it was a secondary hard drive, not the primary. I don't remember what it was that was on there...
  • Who knows how to rewrite the MBR using DEBUG?
  • I remember reading it in an ASM page, but I forget now.

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    Who knows how to rewrite the MBR using DEBUG?
    Uhm... read the post above lol... I know how.... if anyone interested I can type out the directions, or maybe scan the paper and just post an image...
  • Try this on axcel216's site.
  • Thanks to nightice!
  • Cool, thats neat. I'll print it out for just in case.
  • I suppose someone handy with assembly could make that into an actual program.
  • My directions are similar to that, but I don't know if they are exact.
  • nightice wrote:
    The bootsector on the HP's hard drive is acting all funky-like. I can't install any other one. It just shows "GRUB" and stops. I even tried DEBUG to put in the sector, but it didn't work. This is really annoying, seeing as I'm trying to install Windows 2000. Formatting isn't an option.

It's Linux, what do you expect?
  • nightice wrote:

It's Linux, what do you expect?

1) What is that supposed to mean!?

2) This topic is 11 years old!