Microsoft ... Adddons... function like FFX!!

edited January 2005 in Software
This is just plain wrong!
Look here!
http://windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=63
You can make IE use tabbed browsing (gee, i wonder which bnrowsers that came from) RSS Feeds, and more...

Microsoft must really see that FFX is doing great, soon it wouldn't suprise me if M$ starts making ads that put down FFX.

Comments

• even if IE did have features like firefox, its still the swiss cheese of browsers
  • I came up with the "swiss cheese" thing, you know. :P
  • No you didn't...

And that thing looks suspisciously like UMO.

-Q
  • Uhh... Opera invented tabbed browsing :-P

And it was going to come sooner of later. It's like stealing the idea of the steering wheel.
  • Q wrote:

I'm pretty certain i was the first to use it here.
  • Well you might've intoroduced it here, but it was around probably before WinWorld Forums even started.

-Q
  • Of course, of course.
  • Steve wrote:
    Uhh... Opera invented tabbed browsing :-P

And it was going to come sooner of later. It's like stealing the idea of the steering wheel.

everyone steals ideas these days, they wait a while...yoink, idea stolen/used
  • If Microsoft hadn't stolen the MSDOS idea from Seattle Computers QDOS, they wouldn't be so popular these days.
    Take better qualities from others is more good than bad.
  • didnt ms buy DOS for like 50,000 and added there own shit to it
  • Slash wrote:
    If Microsoft hadn't stolen the MSDOS idea from Seattle Computers QDOS, they wouldn't be so popular these days.
    Take better qualities from others is more good than bad.

No. You're coun't be more than wrong. (fail)

Microsoft *bought* QDOS. They didn't steal, *bought*.

It was a legal and fair trade. MS paid $50,000 for it, and *remade it* for IBM's computers.
  • And what was to stop Ffx, MyIE2, and all the other browsers out there from making their own implementation of tabbed browsing? Or the IE "Information bar" that Ffx recently appropriated? Slash has the right idea though, reuse the best qualities and ditch the crap ones.

-Q
  • Steve, WTF? Do you care how they got it (stole or bought)? I don't care. The fact it that wasn't their idea.
  • He's getting prickly over your terminology. It was offically bought, but then there's the huge deal over where the Windows UI came from, ::roll:

-Q
  • Windows UI was not MS's idea! They leeched the interface from Mac LisaOS and so on...
  • Apple got it from Xerox...
  • And there was that "VisiOn" buissiness, which supposedly started it all too.

-Q
  • Oh yeah...anybody got an XT?
  • Go get VisiOn from Toastytech.
  • I have it already, its better than WIn1.01
  • So what. They bought it. It was Seatle Computer Companie's loss becuase they didn't value it enough to show it to IBM and make millions.

And the UI. Yes, MS stole it from Apple. Steve Jobbs let him have a sneak look before the demo. *But* Apple stole it from Xerox. So does that make Apple any better?
  • I don't bash MS in any way. I only notice that it weren't them who made DOS...
    They bought it... I agree... but I don't care of that.

OK, let's shut up, everyone stoles technologies now to make their own products better. And that is not bad, at least there are no reasons of thinking so.
  • Can't believe! We've found a happy medium!
  • "Woot"!!

I'll agree with Slash, almost every sucessfull software has used ideas, processes, thoughts, etc, etc from others. Noones an island.

-Q
  • "island"?
  • There's a phrase in English: "No man is a island". It means that noones completely isolated, everyone somehow affects everyone else they come into contact with. Soft is the same way, ideas and concpts rub off on each other, so nothings completely original.

-Q
  • I agree. It's so fucken true!