Linux in a DeskPro P2 233MMX, 64MB RAM

edited February 2005 in Software
OK? Now should I? If not what Windows OS? If So, what Linux should I choose? Thanks

Nick

Edit: Would it be murder to my PC?

Comments

• No.

*BSD or NT4.
  • OK... NT4... I need the service pack... Where can I get that? WW?
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    OK? Now should I? If not what Windows OS? If So, what Linux should I choose? Thanks

Nick

Edit: Would it be murder to my PC?
    go ahead, it wont hurt to try. but i suggest a little more ram i suppose.
    go with debrian, slackware, or an old ver of red hit.
  • No, NT4 OS... If I have a file server I want up, would I choose server, or just go with workstation?
  • either one, they are just the same thing.
  • Or just get both and try both?
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    Or just get both and try both?
    do that, it wont hurt unless your on dialup
  • OK... Im only gettin 16.4KB/sec, I could be getting 400kb/sec on LinuxISO.org... 45 Minutes to go....
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    OK... Im only gettin 16.4KB/sec, I could be getting 400kb/sec on LinuxISO.org... 45 Minutes to go....
    subtract 9KB and you get my download speed.
  • u got dialup?

38 Minutes Left
  • If you want to try Linux on it, try Vector Linux. It's based on Slackware and optomized for older hardware.
  • I just forgot that NT4 doesnt have USB Support, and I have a Wireless-B Network Adapter for my Internet Connection... Oh Well. I dont know if linux has USB Support...
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    I just forgot that NT4 doesnt have USB Support, and I have a Wireless-B Network Adapter for my Internet Connection... Oh Well. I dont know if linux has USB Support...
    yes it does, and i think its enabled in most stock kernels.
  • It's not disabled. They didn't have WLAN back the. :P LMAO

And the hacks that make it work don't work for shit and are uber buggy. Hardwire you're ethernet or use 98/2000 :P
  • If it was me i'd give Win 2000 a go and see what happens. Yeah the ram may be a slowing factor but it should work ok.

Richard
  • I have 98 on it now... The PC has integrated NetTelligence or whatever Ethernet, only if I could get a long enough cable...
  • if you use NT4, use the Compaq drivers. the NT4 ones don't work right for some reason.
  • I didnt get any Compaq Drivers... I got the PC from a Hospital (they were throwing them out). Could I download the drivers?
  • I would need around 50feet of Network cable though.... Can you get a wireless adapter which doesnt plug into USB, but plugs into Ethernet? That would be great for me...
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    u got dialup?

38 Minutes Left
    If he had dialup, it would be more like 7 days 15 hours left...
  • Slash wrote:
    NTL1991 wrote:
    u got dialup?

38 Minutes Left
    If he had dialup, it would be more like 7 days 15 hours left...
    i have dialup and it would say 12 days and 23 hours left. (and were in the same boat now because my connection speed is 31.3 now since my modem is almost dead.
  • count yourselves luckym, my dialup is lke 12k half the time LMAO
  • That converter is so cool... I should get it. Maybe they have them at bestbuy... i got a 100 dollar giftcard
  • my download speed is near 2.4 most of the time peaks at 2.7 max. godi wish i had dsl
  • What's the impediment? Not close enough to the CO like me ::D?

-Q