How many distro's can I install?

edited January 2005 in Software
This is my newest project....I am going to see how many distro's of Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD i can install on my computer, and not in a VM either.

This should be fun.

Comments

• isnt there a maximum number of partitions a disk can have?
  • edited December 2004
    4 Primary
    1 Extended : 20 some Logical.
  • I have installed Fedora Core 3, and am now installing FreeBSD
  • i had freebsd, netbsd, gentoo linux, redhat, slackware, and SUSE on the same computer, just make bSd in the front of the drive.
  • Why? LOL

Just keep FreeBSD with Linux binary compatability.
  • Steve wrote:
    Why? LOL

Just keep FreeBSD with Linux binary compatability.
    i use linux to screw around with and try expirments on, i use bsd for web crap, and windows for my normal things.
    people have claimed to have crammed muptlical linux distrubutions on one hd, hes just trying to see if they are full of shit or not.
  • Good luck. Linux can boot also from logical partitions and you can make them as many as you want.
  • I have:

(Partition | Windows Drive Letter | Size | Description/Label)

Master:

0 | W | 54.9 mb | Boot (Contains BootMagic (its great))

1 | C | 7,114.7 MB | Windows

2 | - | 110,070.4 MB | Extended Partition

2a | E | 71,680.6 MB | Applications

2b | Z | 5,122.3 MB | Windows Swap File

2c | D | 33,267.4 MB | Data

Slave:

1 | - | 39,260.4 MB | Extended
    1a | - | 7168 MB | Fedora Core 3
    1b | - | 7168 MB | FreeBSD
    1c | - | 5120 MB | Unused/formatted
    1d | - | 5120 MB | Unused/formatted
    1e | - | 5120 MB | Unused/formatted
    1f | - | 5120 MB | Unused/formatted
    EMPTY SPACE | - | 4444.4 MB | No partition

I can actually hide partitions using boot magic. its cool.

Like FreeBSD can't see any of my windows stuff, or the linux partitions and vica versa. only Windows can see everything.
  • James Babb wrote:
    Partition Magic, and BootMagic, have become my favorite tools now.

I can actually hide partitions using boot magic. its cool.

Like FreeBSD can't see any of my windows stuff, or the linux partitions and vica versa. only Windows can see everything.
    i used xosl when i did that, and it was pretty good, expect that it slowed down cds a bit more and my antivirus said it was a MBR worm, i dont use it anymore.
  • Yeah, Antivirus tools do that. Maby they fixed it. I never used the bootloader, just for partitioning.
  • new question...can i install distro's and freebsd from cd images (iso's) on a hard disk? or do i have to burn them all to cd?
  • Try with Daemontools or Nero ImageDrive to mount the images in Windows, or "mount" in X, but I don't think that'll go all the way.

-Q
  • yeah...but i need to boot to an iso so i can install from it.

perhaps slash, or tomchu knows.
  • I think theres a way to install off a FAT32 partition.
  • If it's not in a VM, I think you'll need to burn them, unless your bootloader can do something?

-Q
  • I think not.

Either way you're screwed. Some distros may let you install off a FAT partition if you put the files on there. But that is only what I heard. I never tried it.
  • grrrr. diskboot.img wont work correctly. I tried dding it to a usb thing, and my bios claims the usb flash thing is unbootable. perhaps if i installed grub onto the usb thing, and specified diskboot.img as a boot option.
  • You can use the same swap for all linuxes, unless you are trying to install something really old, such as Redhat 5, which doesn't work with modern swap filesystem.
  • I know some recent RH (8 or 9) allowed you to install from ISOs. I don't see why other distros shouldn't, it mounts like a normal CD.

Are you going to try Slackware? you can mount an ISO from a partition and direct the installer to the mount point.
  • oh that's just great:

I tryed playing an mp3 in fedora and got this wonderful message informing me that they have removed the decoder do to patent conflicts. great.
  • XMMS should do it fine.

PS: It can't play DVD's either LMAO
  • XMMS gave me that message. i had to dl xmms from the xmms website to get the decoder.
  • Well I used SuSE which is made by a company that has money. Novell can afford to pay for the rights to use the Mp3 decoder.
  • lol. i think most can, except for somereason Red Hat.

But you know you have a problem when slackware has the mp3 decoder, and Red Hat doesnt.
  • Well, this is Fedora, which (I beleive) is seperate from RH?

-Q
  • If you get the Redhat Comercial version, then you'll get it. I think it's called Redhat Enterprise.
  • RedHat Enterprise Linux, so yea.

Fedora I've never actually used, but all the reports I hear about it are not complementary.

-Q
  • It's bullshit. And I'm not just saying that becuase I hate linux. hardcore Linux users will tell you it's bad.

It's basicly Redhat, but free. Redhat stopped making free Linux, so some company turned it into Fredora or something like that.