cd drive has funky reads

edited January 2005 in Hardware
This is seriously pissing me off. My CD drive, for some reason, doesn't like to read in long continuous streams - instead, it reads in quick bursts. This is HELL when installing anything over about 5 MB. My friend has almost exactly the same drive and it performs like a CD drive should. Mine is a Lite-On 40x/10x/24x.

Comments

• Bad burn, if they're CD-R(W)s. Fish and I used to HATE Nero because it would without fail make CDs that would do that.

-Q
  • I tend to use more burned CDs than pressed CDs. My pressed Ubuntu CDs do this...and my XP CD doesn't (when copying driver.cab - ~70 mb).
    So, I think I got it figured out: 1. Stop using Roxio. 2. Stop using Memorex CDs.
    The actual condition is I will hear the CD drive whirring up like it's going to read, the light flashes, and the drive whirs down. Grr.
  • So it's Roxio for you? Fish and I had terrible problems with Nero back in the day.

And Memorex, how do you know it's them?

-Q
  • Half the time, my drive won't accept the Memorex CDs I burn until I reinsert it 2 or 3 times. The drive in the HP, on the other hand, does. Except the colored CDs. It was reading them all corrupted-like (unless it was Win98, FreeDOS and NT4 seemed to read them OK).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have the same drive. Altough I don't have that problem. The only problem I had was getting Nero to see the drive. I had to install the ASPI drivers that go with CDrWin from www.goldenhawk.com

It might work for you also. I remember seeing something about the lite-on drives that like to baug down during transfers.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    It's in PIO mode rather than DMA. Update its firmware, then check the Primary/Secondary controller properties in Device Manager. In one of the tabs you'll have the option of setting "DMA if available". XP defaults to PIO for optical devices.

I'll try that, but the problem is, it happens when doing non-Windows stuff too.

EDIT: It's already on "DMA if available", and the current transfer is PIO.
  • Strange, dunno.
    I am using Memorexes and they always work good.
  • me too, they're really cheap in the supermarket and ive never had a coaster
  • Then my drive must suck.
  • BOD wrote:
    me too, they're really cheap in the supermarket and ive never had a coaster
    Just interesting! How much do they cost?
  • Not very cheap. I pay 495 RUR for 100 Princos and 297 RUR for 25 memorexes...
  • "Princos" ?

-Q
  • this is the UK, everything is expensive, but bearing in mind that my last paycheque was 7,108.91 RUR
  • Princo... Haven't you heard about them?
    They are the cheapest CD-Rs
  • I've never seen them.

-Q
  • They are delivered here from China, like anything else! :)
  • A quote from the movie Armageddon.

"Russin components, American components, they all come from China!"
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    A quote from the movie Armageddon.

"Russin components, American components, they all come from China!"
    HaHa...
    That's so fucken true...
  • Evidently IBMs are going to come from there soon...

-Q

PS. IBM sold it's PC making division to a Chinese firm.
  • Oh well..

Never liked OEM's anyway.
  • And, if it doesn't say it's from china, it's most likely a bootlegged remake of a foreign product, which rolled out of a factory in china.
  • Doesn't anyone still use Mexico?

-Q
  • Alright, so the CD drive had UDMA DISABLED...I set it to Ultra DMA Mode 5...CD drive not found. I go back into the BIOS and put the drive on Auto, and it chooses UDMA mode 2. It seems better. I'll try 3 and 4 later.
  • No wonder. You were stuck in PIO mode which is so mewhere around 16x.
  • 3 doesn't work, I'll bet that 4 doesn't either. Now all I have to figure out is why it reads some CDs in quick bursts instead of a long stream.
  • If it's a CD-ROM, then it's won't need anything higher than UDMA/33 which is Mode 2.