LOLZORZ who would buy this shit?

edited January 2005 in Hardware
http://www.tigerdirect.com/AOL-PC/index.asp

An AOL-optimized PC...lmao...I'm laughing too hard to describe it other than shitbag. $299 isn't bad if I reformat and install XP Corp.

Comments

• You need to buy a year of AOL for that deal to work.

So it's like (25 * 12) + 300 = $600.

Plus, it's a Celeron, No CD-RW/DVD-RW, small HD, It has ripoff written all over it. (wrong)
  • I think they do that to reel in AOL users.
  • O... I remember something like that.. I was like you but AOL for a year and use it and you get a free PC, or SOMETHING like that?

-Q
  • Thay are trying to trick some n00bs, who trusts AOL...
    Thanks God, there are not much such people
  • BTW, what happened with you and your Russian AOL?

-Q
  • The catch with this is that using AOL for a year puts on an extra ~$300, therefore its not really a "$300 PC" its more like 600 LOL
  • $600 is still a really bad deal.
  • For AOL, anything that costs you is a bad deal.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    For AOL, anything that costs you is a bad deal.

-Q

no with AOL anything is a bad deal
  • I don't know, if they paid me to test some version of it that whould be nice.

-Q
  • When free internet was starting to go big a lot of ISPs started to have deals like this. Really and turly the extra money you didn't spend went to the ISP that you had to sign up with to get the cheap PC.
  • We had to have dialup anyway, so we had a deal like this years ago with CompuServe. Free computer with a year or two. We were going to be paying anyway, so it worked out. CompUSA has these, too.

MSN came with my Sony, or I got cash off, I think.
  • Q wrote:
    I don't know, if they paid me to test some version of it that whould be nice.

-Q
    Nope, their beta testing is free (and you don't want to test beta... my god the horrible things it can do to your computer)
  • I tested 9. It wasn't *that* bad...eh it looked better than 8 and the reconnect feature worked, that's all I can think of.
  • 9's GUI is so fucken homo.

7.0 is the best. The less homo'd up GUI.
  • 6-8 had way too much clutter on the toolbar.
  • Who cares about the toolbar. The sole purpose is to dialup.

I got my own programs LOL
  • Steve wrote:
    Who cares about the toolbar. The sole purpose is to dialup.

I got my own programs LOL
    AOL=NO PURPOSE :)
  • I would buy it. You all suck. AOL is the best fricken isp ever. Your comcast, and sbc, and veriszon suck! AOL rules....i kick ass over all you nerds who use crappy isp's! opps...AOL just crashed on me. but i bet you your isp software crashes all the time like every 5 seconds. opps. aol crashed again. so as i was saying AOL ownz you all. we rock. opps aol just disconnected me. we kick your crappy isps ass. opps aol just made my machine reboot.

lol. my story for the day.

DISCLAIMER:
    I used AOL once, and am basing that story on my experiences (the crashing part).
  • Babb is going crazzy...
  • He's using sarcasm.

As to the beta testing, I was just saying, IF AOL payed ME (And I mean real money, not "50$ off your next months AOL!") to do something that whouldn't be too bad, I'd just run it in VMware!

-Q
  • I loved the AOHELL 2.5 and 3.0 GUI. Easyer to use and didn't have tons of windows popup after it connected. Ofcorse now AOL os bloted as hell and became very unstable and sucks resources like you couldn't believe.
  • In fact, you don't need the AOL client anymore. Use the dialer + FFX, and Open Mail Access + Tbd.
  • So you think I can use AOL services without AOL browser?
  • I don't know/think that AOL has any Omsk access #s, unless you want to tell it Omskelecoms support #s and have it dial every 2 seconds after a disconnect and when they ask you why you keep calling them, say that you heard about their 56K service and wanted in.

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    So you think I can use AOL services without AOL browser?

Easy... on AOL, minimise the browser, nd then run FFX... according to some source i read a while back
  • Yep, that works.
  • it must do cos theres ppl on M$N who have AOL
  • No, I mean is it possible without using AOL browser at all? Without having it installed?
  • You have to use that the first time to setup the connection and account. After that you should be able to do what I suggested.