Best AIM client for Linux

edited April 2011 in Software
is...?

Comments

• Kopete.

-Q
  • Yep.

Theres also AIM for Linux. But some features aren't yet built in. It's basicly like AIM 1.0 for Windows 3.1.
  • I found i liked GAIM better than Kopete.
  • GAIM's Windows port seemed to be very buggy.
  • That doesn't suprise me, it's made for Linux, so the Windows port is sortof an afterhought it seems. Also, it's running in a completely different UI, so it just looks/acts weird.

-Q
  • naim, of course.
  • aim for linux
  • AIM for Linux is like 1.0 for Windows 3.1 feature wise.
  • nightice wrote:
    naim, of course.

what's naim?
  • anyway at least it works... :)
  • If you want the AIM program with good features, use something like 4.8 under WINE.
  • James Babb wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    naim, of course.

what's naim?
    commanline aim. i spend a lot of my linux time on the command line, so, naturally, i discovered naim.
  • Commandline aim?? Should try. Is it included in every distro?
  • I don't think so. i found it in DSL.
  • Can't found it... What's the name of the packege?
  • I can't get to the main site, but here's a debian package.
  • Ah...naim...
    Nice, thanks
  • i use more command line stuff in linux or bsd than i do with Gui tools. it reminds me of my 486 and how my office program, and my cdplayer program were in dos. :)
    and i dont install much on them anyways because i gave them 6 gb each.
    for a gui, use Xfce.
  • okay...i tried command line aim. it was interesting but i much rather prefer a gui.

btw...any one ever use TVM (or whatever its called. that ancient desktop envirment) in linux?
  • James Babb wrote:
    okay...i tried command line aim. it was interesting but i much rather prefer a gui.

btw...any one ever use TVM (or whatever its called. that ancient desktop envirment) in linux?
    yes, like i said to you, it used to be a primary gui on my p100. its still good for some partical uses, but not for day to day.
  • i sort of like aim 1.0 its very fast and easy of sys resources. sadened me to go to 5.5
  • I heard that AIM 4.x were probably the best.
  • where can i get AIM 1.x?
  • WinWorld!

-Q
  • http://oldversion.com. you can get them ALL.. muhahhahha
  • That was my 2nd idea, considering that WinWorld only has the 1 version.

-Q
  • hacked711 wrote:
    yes, like i said to you, it used to be a primary gui on my p100. its still good for some partical uses, but not for day to day.
    At least every Linux browser has a popup blocker...that would suck to go somewhere and have to manually place 10 windows on the screen....
  • nightice wrote:
    hacked711 wrote:
    At least every Linux browser has a popup blocker...that would suck to go somewhere and have to manually place 10 windows on the screen....
    twm is good for having more than one terminal open at once without using control+alt+F* all the time.
    i usually use elinks for browsing most of the times on my old computers. (links -g or elinks -g to get online after using minicom or wvdial)
  • elinks roxorz. arachne would roxorz more if it worked with my mouse.