Poking through SETUPLDR.BIN...

edited January 2005 in Software
Boredom has ensued. Therefore, I took a hex editor to Windows 2000's SETUPLDR.BIN. All addresses given in hex:

Apparently, 2k will indeed run on a 486! 3760B states: "Windows 2000 requires an 80486 or later processor."

Not so private now. 1E4A1 to 1F08C contains numerous references to "d:\nt\private\ntos\boot\setup\setup.c" and "Windows NT Executive". At least they're organized,

29A90: You can press F7 to disable ACPI, I guess on the "Press F6 to install" blah blah blah

29C40: Bad BIOS List? WTF? Probably if you didn't press F7 before.

36A20: Hmm? Is that when you press F6 at the beginning of setup?

36E8E: Probably the most famous install line ever. But does it really inspect your computer's hardware configuration?

The strings begin at 35EBC. Kind of interesting, but...no, it can't be! Is this the setup program? I thought it was USETUP.EXE.

Near the end of the strings, there's a lot of references to the Alpha port, and...SGI? And what the crap is SETUPLDR.EX_ for?

Comments

• i messed with some sort of XP setup program on its CD in ResHacker (forgot what the filename was)

The XP install looked all weird...i changed like all the strings and Banners, so like Windows just got better was turned into Windows Just Got A Makeover!
  • I tried that, but it didn't take, so I'm suspiscious.

-Q
  • BTW all these things will work in XP too.
  • James Babb wrote:
    i messed with some sort of XP setup program on its CD in ResHacker (forgot what the filename was)

The XP install looked all weird...i changed like all the strings and Banners, so like Windows just got better was turned into Windows Just Got A Makeover!

Yeah, I hacked up Win98 like that once...it was great.
  • nightice wrote:
    James Babb wrote:
    i messed with some sort of XP setup program on its CD in ResHacker (forgot what the filename was)

its not that hard. i changed the "increased relibility" to increased crashability.
  • hacked711 wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    James Babb wrote:

its not that hard. i changed the "increased relibility" to increased crashability.
    Where such stuff is located in 98?
  • Slash wrote:
    hacked711 wrote:
    nightice wrote:
    James Babb wrote:

Where such stuff is located in 98?
    ill have to look, i did that like 2 years ago out of boredom. but i think its a text file.
  • Most of it is in W98SETUP.BIN.