Win2k is unsually slow loading and tad bit running

edited January 2005 in Software
hey guys atter a format and install of 2k, i got rid of xp home, but now its weird to me cause 2k is slower runnign and loading than xp home was. what is the deal\??

it runs on the laptop, 750mhz, 256 mb ram, 10 gb hd.

anyone know what could be behind this?? i know 2k is a heavy os but come one man sheesh.

Comments

• "Loading" meaning just booting up, or logging in?

-Q
  • booting up and logging in much much longer than xp was
  • Windows 2000 is slower than XP.... it's to be expected.... But I think I may know, but I need a bit more information... can you give an estimated time frame for booting and logging in for both Windows 2000 and XP (if you still remember)? Like I said, I may know the problem.
  • xp at max ever would be like 7--10 seconds, but 2000 is like 20- 25 seconds and then to log in is like another 20 seconds to compltely get to use to the computer
  • reinstall, that's the only advicedI can legally give you
  • 20-25 is normal for 2000.
  • Steve wrote:
    20-25 is normal for 2000.
    on some occasions you can get 15 seconds (thats the max for my computer)
  • But this is a laptop. The thing probably has a 4200 RPM Hard Disk. Plus it's a 750 MHz. I bet it only has ATA66.
  • hmm well i might go back to windows xp. I have the upgrade, but i cant find the serial for it, anyone have a way to get past the serial thing . thanks
  • Uhhhh yeah.

Just get a serial :P It's *really* not that hard LOL
  • lol well ok , but im wondering,, how long does wint 4 take to load and log on?
  • NT 4 doesn't even support MMX, AGP, or USB, but ok. LOL

About under 30 seconds, but that's on older machines. Older machines : old OS's ;-)
  • lol damn it , well what about windose 98 SE how long for that to load and logon?
  • I used 98SE on a 7200RPM drive and it flew by the splash screen in like 5 seconds.
  • hmm maybe ill try 98 , thats what came on the laptop originally but ive added more ram and i want another harddrive , right now its got a 10gb one not sure how fast it runs.

bty if anyone is interested http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems ... /specs.htm

these are the technical specs od the laptop - mines the c600 model so its differs slightly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NT 4 took *forever* to start up on the HP. It takes only a little less under VMware on this machine.
  • well i want something half reliable, but it really want some something fast loading
  • well i want something half reliable, but it really want some something fast loading
    That depends on you PC.

2000 is reliable but slow on my old PC (100 MHz). Then agian its better when yuo have a bit more speed (200 MHz).
    Windows 98 won't give you that..... just live with 2000. It doesn't have the fast boot abilities of XP, and no prefetching either. And... I have no problem waiting several minutes for 2000 to boot up and be ready. 20-25 seconds is like nothing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes... why did you get rid of XP?
  • 98 should be burned
  • Next time I go over my friend's place I'll bring my 98 CD for target practice with his paintball gun.
  • Booting speed has always been the suckest feature of Win2k. You have to cope with this,,,
    But wait, you may try to use BootVis from Microsoft. I think it should work on 2k as well as on XP
  • You could always try Hare (::D :lol:).

-Q
  • reason why i left xp is cause it needed to be reformated but i lost the serial to install it, and i cant find a valid one on google.
  • google? LOL
  • Hey, it IS possible.

-Q
  • LMAO Did you find Windows XP on google also? LOL

Go email Microsoft and see if they can send you a serial. They always do that for me. :-)