What in the What?

edited January 2005 in Software
You all know I know nothing about computers so I want no yelling. ;) What are the differences between BSD and Linux? I don't want, "Linux sucks, that's the difference" or anythign like that. Serious answers people. I know they are both based on UNIX, but what are the actual differences.

Comments

• edited January 2005
    FreeBSD is very loosely based on the original AT&T Unix. It's a long story, but basically University of California-Berkeley licensed a version and changed it so much that it became BSD, was opensourced in 1991 (i think), but by now everything has been basically rewritten a few times. OpenBSD and NetBSD are based on FreeBSD in some way...I forget the exact relationship...

Linux, OTOH, was written as a small hobby project, people liked it, and it grew like crazy. Linux actually only applies to the kernel, but distros package software from various authors and often simply call the end result Linux or GNU/Linux (because the core utilities come from GNU).

EDIT: fixed OpenBSD/NetBSD relationships
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks Tom.
  • Who said OS?

And evidently O came from N.

-Q
  • what r u talking about Qbert?
  • "Qbert" LOL

i think he means operating system came from niteice..... i think
  • The only one here who said "Operating system" was Tom, who said it implying that someone else had said it.

-Q
  • yeah and the kernel is confusing. i dont even know if they have a homegrown APi in the kernel, and i wonder how in the fuck did they port bash to it.
    anyways ill keep out of this, i like both.
  • i get it, linux is incomplete because it's a holiday hackjob
  • YES! You get it!
  • WTF I'm talking about it why you said it like it was a response to a different question. And although it may offically be just a kernel, don't ppl use it ~98% of the time to mean the whole thing, kerenel, shell, and all?

-Q
  • Yea, but ppl (Including Mand/SuSE/RH call it "Linux") so I usually assume that's what ppl are meaning. Anyway, the phrasing of your response was what confused me so that's that dealt with.

-Q
  • How Linux has been developed today.... you may safely call it an OS, not just kernel
  • Yea, the individual flavors, but when ppl are talking about, say, Linux 2.6, they really mean just the kerenel.

-Q