dos has messed up big ass time

edited January 2005 in Software
hey guys i got a weird prob. i think the data on the hardrive is corrupt. whenever iturn on the armada 1700 the amrada logo appears and then when the hardrives starts loading it loads shit all over the armada logo as in the logo doesnt go aways and is all fucked up and stuff. i tried a boot disk and a cdrom to try to format it but it always boots into the hardrive and i cant even get into the bios? can anyone help

Comments

• Take out the HDD and try ushing the F keys when you turn the PC on to get into the bios.
  • a) What does this have to do with DOS?

b) That's becuase your BIOS is not set to boot form those devices

c) Just a screwy video card possibly

b) Get into the BIOS by using the right key combo and fix the boot sequence.
  • try pressing FN + F11 rapidly while you turn your system on to reset your system to its factory default.
  • hmm i just figured it had something to do with dos 7.1 and windows 3.1, i dont think the vid card is gone but maybe the drivers are bad. i got this form a site "The armada 1700's didn't have inbuilt BIOS settings for setup etc...it had to be installed on the hard drive or run from a floppy disk.
    If it is installed on your hard drive you can run the bios setup by pressing F10 when you notice a cursor in the top right(?) corner of the screen shortly after turning the unit on.
    Otherwise you'll have to download the setup from www.compaq.com and put it on a floppy and run it from there; the floppy created is bootable so your laptop should go straight into the setup.

Good luck!

Bidlet" ill have to that shit a try
  • And the video driver is loaded when Windows 3.11 starts, so, yeah.

Just download the CMOS setup from Compaq's website, put in the disk, and press F10 while booting.
  • Compaq doesn't give away BIOSes...

Here's the BIOS listed on DriverGuide.com:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/d ... rid=208782

You need a membership to download from them.
  • Yes they do. You download can download the CMOS setup and boot it off a floppy disk.

And the usr/pass is drivers/all.
  • driversguide is just stupid. what's the point of having password protection if everyone knows it? LOL
  • Now when you go there, it says "This account will expire"

It's been doing that for months.
  • they made a new one according to bugmenot
    drivers2/all
  • Their "password protection" is the 2nd worst I've ever seem, BODs right, it's just stupid.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Their "password protection" is the 2nd worst I've ever seem, BODs right, it's just stupid.

-Q
    Whats the 1st?
  • ParentsTalk AKA ParentStalk. It was this thinly veiled right wing message board for parents. Only problem was your user name was part of the URI/URL when you were posting something, and you could change it to be ANYTHING, INCLUDING other users names, and IT WOULD TAKE IT! You could change your "name" to be any one of the regulars and post as them.

-Q

PS. Ask Fish for all the infos, he was the one who found it.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    Q wrote:
    Their "password protection" is the 2nd worst I've ever seem, BODs right, it's just stupid.

-Q
    Whats the 1st?
    windows 98
  • HA! Just click "Cancel"
  • Not quite, that'd be maybe 2nd or 3rd. Read above.

-Q
  • Aaah missed that....

Thats just like that cjb.net thingy that I found a while back.
  • ok well i fixed the problem, i just removed the cmos battery for anew minutes and out it in again and formatted the hardrive. :)
  • Norton Internet Security...how to crack the passwords for the old parental control thing...

You boot into safe mode, delete the files that contain the password hashes and then boot into normal. Then the accounts do not have any passwords.

Or just disable the service.
  • What does that have to do with his DOS problem or fix?

-Q
  • bad "security" systems you were talking about.
  • ::oops: Missed that one.

Doesn't 98 do the same thing with *.PWL files?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    ::oops: Missed that one.

Doesn't 98 do the same thing with *.PWL files?

-Q

yeah, those are stored for anyone to come view them?

btw, are they encrypted passwords, or could i open it up with notepad and find the passwd?
  • I think they use some form of encryption, but I don't know how strong/weak it is.

http://www.openwall.com/passwords/pwl.shtml is one Google result.

-Q
  • I bet it's ROT13. LOL
  • http://lastbit.com/vitas/pwl.asp

That sortof explains it.

-Q
  • what is the point to driver guide if they have only 1 user/pass? What woud the be point of the logon script?
  • They do have more then one, I remember one of the account has a passwd of "512".

-Q
  • That was the account for people who forgot their passwords. It was Temp/512.