Boot Screens

Comments

• I like XP the best so far..... mostly cause it doesn't stay on too long......

i haven't seen 2003's or longhorns
  • I would like the Server boot screens for 2000 if it wasn't all blocky with those stupid block gradients. It would be better if it was a smooth gradient.
  • Anyone that likes NT 3.x and NT 4 should seriously get their eyes replaced- ITS TEXT EXPLAINING THE VERSION OF THE OS! How "mint" is that? :P
  • LMAO! Some people actually put NT? It doesn't have a fucking boot screen, only the kernel details!!
  • Come on, all 5 of you, show yourselfs ... WHY THE HELL DID YOU CHOOSE NT 3.x AND NT 4??
  • Seriously though, I think now it would be better if MS actually put a nice little animation on the boot screen, even if it's only in 256 colors it would be quite cool.
  • They probably would, if the support for it had not ran out.
  • I mean on any OS, none of them have an animation, only a raw image.
  • Well, if you think about it, Windows 95+ all have a small animation- a funny little scroller going across the bottom of the screen.
  • Yeah but wouldn't it be cool if it had something like the setup for Windows XP animation thing.
  • Yeh, something to say "oi I'm not stuck" (or as a chav would say "oioi I'm not stuck like rytes am i")
  • err yeah good for you (notice deliberate sarcasm)
  • Sarcasm noted and destroyed (muhahahahhahahaha :P)
  • while there is no real boot screen there is the logon desktop..... and the winnt bitmap which is what i think a few are talking about......

i think a lot of people perfer havign no graphical boot screen.....

!~~~ open your minds and your ears ~~~!
  • Well, I never thought about it that way, but if you want a textual bootscreen, I suggest you get DOS, get an IPX network driver, learn how to interact with HTTP, FTP, NetBIOS, POP3, SMTP, IMAP4 and HTTPS (or SSL)!
  • or just an OS with mroe functionality and compatiblity and udjust the boot.ini to get a texual boot screen
  • Graphical = Better than textual ... that's the bottom line.
  • you = stupid......

its just a stupid boot screen, on any good system you won't see it very long
  • Yeh, but NT 4 and 3.x aren't designed for 'any good system'
  • They were designed for "a really good system" (at the time).
  • We all know that, they were probably 'the hit' at the time, a bit like XP and S2003 is.
  • load times for windows havent' been all the great... M$ knew they needed to make windows load faster.... hence XP.....
  • It took like 2.5 minutes to start up on my P166 and about 4 to log on.

No, I wasn't going to actually use it, it was for laughs...that "time remaining" in setup is quite accurate btw...
  • THIS is the right thread- Dumbass!
  • actually.. this one is NT boot screens, while the other thread was 9x Boot screens....
  • My P3 650MHz loads up XP in like 1 min - 40 secs till login and about 20 to desktop.
  • This computer (my new computer) takes 30 seconds to start- logon, boot, desktop, etc.

My other PC (the crap one, although its the best out of them all and I've had it for years *sigh*) takes seconds to go past the boot screen, about 5 MINUTES to load the logon screen (Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to logon) and then to show the desktop it takes seconds. It takes minutes because its a domain controller :D
  • I can reboot in about 20-30seconds at most
  • On my first one I can, but not t'other- unless I'm using JuleOS Dynamite Tester Disk :P
  • Meh. On my main PC I haven't checked the time but the bar goes around around 2.5 times. Pretty quick to load the logon screen and then about 4 seconds to desktop, and another 10 or so until everything (ZoneAlarm) is loaded. Shutdowns inexplicably take about 2 minutes to show the box and 3 to shut down.