Need help with adding hardware with SCO Xenix 2.3.4

edited February 2005 in Software
Yo, FishNet uploaded a few copys of Xenix to my FTP and I installed the latest version onto a 486 I put together. It took me forever to get it to work correctly with the hardware. Seems the old hardware I used was too new for Xenix lol. Anyway, I want to add CD-ROM support to it. Also maybe even Ethernet. I have no clue what device name to use in the /DEV for the CD-ROM. I tryed using /DEV/CDROM and no luck. I tryed the SYSADM account and got the list of avable drives and it only listed my floppy and tape drive. Right now I have a 8x ATAPI CD-ROM in the system but I can always switch to a Proprietary CD-ROM if needed. The NIC I have in the system is a old 3com 3c905b 10MB card.

If I can't get it to work then i'll get off my lazy ass and install OpenServer that is based off of the Xenix Kernel.

Comments

• TCPMeta wrote:
    Yo, FishNet uploaded a few copys of Xenix to my FTP

Yea after he stole them from me.
    The NIC I have in the system is a old 3com 3c905b 10MB card.

Use a 3Com EtherLink III ofcourse!

-Q
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    The NIC I have in the system is a old 3com 3c905b 10MB card.

3c905b was a 10/100MB card. I got a few of them.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Yo, FishNet uploaded a few copys of Xenix to my FTP and I installed the latest version onto a 486 I put together. It took me forever to get it to work correctly with the hardware. Seems the old hardware I used was too new for Xenix lol. Anyway, I want to add CD-ROM support to it. Also maybe even Ethernet. I have no clue what device name to use in the /DEV for the CD-ROM. I tryed using /DEV/CDROM and no luck. I tryed the SYSADM account and got the list of avable drives and it only listed my floppy and tape drive. Right now I have a 8x ATAPI CD-ROM in the system but I can always switch to a Proprietary CD-ROM if needed. The NIC I have in the system is a old 3com 3c905b 10MB card.

If I can't get it to work then i'll get off my lazy ass and install OpenServer that is based off of the Xenix Kernel.
    Dude, if Xenix doesn't support the hardware that is in a 486, what makes you think its going to support a CD-ROM?
  • The 3com 3c-509b card is the Etherlink III and the 16bit ISA cards of that model are only 10MB.

jcmoor, CD-ROM drives have been around for a while. besides if it doesn't i bet I can use some sort of Linux driver for the CD-ROM.

:edit:
    I gave up on Xenix, I'm installing OpenServer 5.0.7 now.
  • And for those who dont believe it:

untitled.jpg
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    ATAPI-compatible CD-ROMs have only been around for about 15 years -- much too late for Xenix I'd believe.
    Haha. So I was right. (woot)
  • Proprietary CD-ROM drives have been around for almost 20 years. I had a old Tandy 1x CD-ROM from a old Tandy 286 The manufactr date said 1987. On further note the copyright year on that version of Xenix (2.3.4) I was using said 1991.
  • Yea, 1983-91..... I'm suprized they didnt drop Xenix before 91 :-|
  • Xenix is still around. OpenServer is based on it. OpenServer is basicly the Xenix kernel with UnixWare/Novell mixed.
  • ATAPI-compatible CD-ROMs....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It just says "You can't use XENIX as part of a password" when you set it to C2 level.

-Q