Modem + windows 3.1 = a hell of a problem

edited February 2005 in Software
So far so good, i have high color and sound in my windows 3.1 enviornment. but what is killing me is that the laptop has a perfectly good internal modem but i cant find any drivers for it. i installed IE 5 so i could get some stuff for putting in a modem, but im at a loss. I read in a computer mag that internal modems dont use a com port, while the net says the usualyl use com2. when i tried to make the computer use com2 and dial, it says the com port is not avaliable. god damn this is driving me insane :eek: :? (drool) can anoyne help me out (wrong)

PS the laptop is a P2 233mhz compaq armada 1700 with 32 megs ram and a 2gb hardrive. before anyone says to put another os on it , i dont want a differnt one it want windows 3.1!!!!!!!!! :(

full specs can be found at http://www.ciao.co.uk/Compaq_Armada_170 ... 50/TabId/4

Comments

• You might just want to buy a PCMCIA modem instead... Though I dont know if it works...
  • PCMCIA+Ethernet adaptor=pwnage. Dunno if it works in 3.1 tho.
  • At this point it doesn't matter what COM port your modem is set to. Right now the issue is finding drivers for the modem. If you have a driver CD that came with your laptop check and see if theres a Win3.x driver. If not find out what modem you have and go on www.driverguide.com (login/pass temp/512) and download the driver. When you install the driver it will set a open unused COM port. If it's a older modem then you can change the COM port or it's set to a surtin COM port.
  • ok i checked out the actual modem on the laptop it says this"

Lucent 1641C T PCH 12
    98175 1304743
    copyright symbol 95 Lucent
    anyone knoe what all those number mean??? thanks alot
  • ^ thanks alot it starts to install on windows xp but when i try on windows 3.1 it says Win32s error invalid format
  • Crap then. Thats the ONLY one that I could find that MIGHT support your modem.
  • That modems probably a winmodem, which isnt going to work in 3.1. Get an external modem, they normally work in 3.1.
  • thanks for trying, did the file say it was windows 3.1 compatible?
  • Your modem is most likely either a Win Modem or an LT Modem. mine is an LT modem disguised as a Compaq Presario 336-DF. The LT win modem driver worked for me. Your best bet, search for win modem and LT win modem drivers.
  • Get broadband and then a wireless router and a Wireless PCMCIA and then you'll be wire-free, if that clucker holds a charge...
  • You need Windows 98 or above for wireless AFAIK. Theres hacks for Windows NT4, but they don't really work all that great.
  • jcmoor wrote:

thanks but which one on the page do i try to use?? and if its a modem driver how would i get windows 3.1 to use it , sorry but i never had to fiddle around with a modem like this before

[Edit byQ: Fix bbCode/link]
  • Why not network the laptop to your main desktop? Get a old 16bit PCMCIA Ethernet or you can use a null modem via serial port between both systems.