Use PC RAM in a Mac???

edited February 2005 in Hardware
Can I use it? My iMac has 192 (64+128) of SDRAM. I got this from LowEndMac.com for this iMac:

"RAM: 32 MB, expandable to 384 MB using SO-DIMM SDRAM (3.3V, unbuffered, 64-bit, 144-pin, 100 MHz or faster, 10ns) in two DIMM sockets (256 MB on top, 128 MB on bottom), top DIMM socket accepts 2" DIMM, bottom socket takes 1.5" DIMM"

OK. Can I put 2 sticks of 64 in it or only 2-128's? Thanks, Nick

Comments

• Memory should be the same regardless of who made it, as long as the machine your putting it into can take the type/speed/density/other specs it should work.

-Q
  • OK. I just printed the Instructions to get in this complicated monster of a Mac... Crossin My Fingers
  • *Moved to HW Support*

-Q
  • Dive Nick Dive!!! Got a nice camera? Take a few pics while your in there.
  • Have to be careful though. A friend of mine had a PowerPPC 6500 and it looked like it used standard 168Pin PC100 DRAM but it used a diffrent pin layout. On the middle knoch it was one pin more. I remember me and him took the motherboard to bestbuy to find memory for it and found some PNY brand that said was compatable with all PowerPC macs and we wanted to make sure it was going to fit so we asked and they said sure but one of the computer techs would have to do it. Well we let them and they fucked up the motherboard by forciing the memory stick in. So instead og having two slots for ram he ended up having one slot. Bestbuy didn't give him crap for it but a bunch of bull shit.
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    OK. I just printed the Instructions to get in this complicated monster of a Mac... Crossin My Fingers

Mind sending me a link to those? I'll be getting my hands on a older iMac soon, and I need to know how to get into it.

~Duff
  • I already finished before i saw your post. I get them someother day. I couldnt change the RAM. OK...

I unscrewed the screw holding the bottom segment of the case (that suckers hea-vy), and pulled that off. Placed Aside. I then proceded to remove the wires connected to the logic board (I've never in my life saw a motherboard like that), which was the Monitor, etc. and removed the board. I then saw the modules. WTF??? This RAM is like Laptop RAM??? OK, so I had to open my Duron up and put the stick of SDRAM back in hich I took out... I then went for the kill. I looked at my vprMatrix laptop (broken, hence "fried") and proceded to the RAM area. I took it out. (256MB) and placed aside. I took the iMac's ram out and they looked exactly the same... So I read my laptop's RAM and I notice the little letters DDR... I guess this iMac isnt getting upgraded for a while... I spent 3 hours doing that... And reserching what DDR ram will do to a mobo that has regular RAM... That's a No-no. I then take a closer look at the pins... Oops. I guess I didnt notice that there were a different number of pins too! So I spent like 4 hours to accomplish... Nutin... Well, That was my adventure today. Tune in next week when I give my presentation about How to Build A PC to idiotic 8th Graders...

The preceding was a paid advertisment for the Nicholas Fund, and did not nesecerely represent the views and opionions of WinBoards, Inc.
  • No such thing as the PowerPPC 6500. If you mean PowerPC 6500, that doesn't exist either. If you mean Power Macintosh 6500, that uses 168-pin DIMMs.

Nice try though.
  • PowerPC 6500 AKA Power Mac 6500 aka code name Alchemy.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/6500.shtml

So do some better research before you get told otherwise little man.
  • It says EDO DIMMs. It say nothing about being a different pinout.

Look at the compatable PC's. Apple-history.com says the same.
    http://www.welovemacs.com/apple-memory- ... eb16-.html
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    ... Well, That was my adventure today. Tune in next week when I give my presentation about How to Build A PC to idiotic 8th Graders...

The preceding was a paid advertisment for the Nicholas Fund, and did not nesecerely represent the views and opionions of WinBoards, Inc.
    Heh, I had to do a powerpoint presentation in a class I had in 8th grade. The class was basically learning how to use office suite programs (both on imacs and pcs). I did one on how to install hardware... back around that time I really knew llike nothing about computers... but I still managed to make a powerpoint that was correct.