Playstation 3, 4GHz?

Comments

• The BBC wrote:
    IBM said Cell was "OS neutral" and would support multiple operating systems simultaneously but designers would not confirm if Microsoft's Windows was among those tested with the chip.

Translation: We aren't saying what architecture it is?

-Q
  • Blah, according to things I have read, cell in PS3 is supposed to make it connect to just about anything cell equiped... so you can use a cell toaster as your memory card lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • He's talking about PS3s, not the processor specifically.

-Q
  • I heard rumors that the CELL CPU is going to be RISC and NISC comptable. Just won't know untill it comes out now.
  • Sounds like future Apple developments?
  • Sounds like future Apple developments?

PowerPC != Apple.

IBM makes the PowerPC, NOT Apple.
  • Sigh.
    captain_obvious.jpg

But where do a majority of PPC's end up?
  • What he means (I think) is that Apple USES PPC, so hence they might make use of this thing.

-Q
  • OK, badly phrased comeback, but if it does PPC, it might end up in Apples.

-Q
  • Don't look at CPU speed, better look at the performance...
  • well the PS2 performed good. I dont own an xbox but i like the PS2 better. Ive used an Xbox and im not saying there bad or anything but i like Ps better.
  • edited February 2005
    Tomchu wrote:
    Blah, according to things I have read, cell in PS3 is supposed to make it connect to just about anything cell equiped... so you can use a cell toaster as your memory card lol.

Errrr ... no.

From what I know about Cell, it has nothing to do with interconnectivity between unrelated devices. It's just a parallel processor.

Cell cpu has been designed to work with other devices that is cell equipted, example.. a pda a computer and a printer all with cell chips, can be combined to work on a problem at the same time!!!
  • Tomchu wrote:
    The Cell architecture is one of a PowerPC core and 8 specialized parallelized cores. The PPC core will deal with resource management and division of tasks between the 8 processing cores.

Each Cell contains 8 APUs. An APU is a self contained vector processor which acts independently from the others. They contain 128 X 128 bit registers, there are also 4 floating point units capable of 32 GigaFlops and 4 Integer units capable of 32 GOPS (Billions of Operations per Second). The APUs also include a small 128 Kilobyte local memory instead of a cache, there is also no virtual memory system used at runtime.
  • Clock speed over 4GHz.
    100 GBytes per second aggregate Memory & I/O speed:
    - Dual X D R controller gives 25.6 GBytes per second.
    - Dual configurable interfaces give 76.8 GBytes per second.
    8 X "SPEs", 128 bit vector engines, 128 registers each.
    2 instructions issued per cycle per SPE.
    Peak = 256 GigaFlops
    Double precision maths operations supported.
    256KBytes "Local Store" per SPE.
    Internal communication is via 4 X 128 bit rings, up to 96 Bytes per cycle.
    PPE can handle 2 threads (update: NOT POWER5 based).
    PPE includes VMX.
    PPE includes 512 KBytes Cache.
    "Dynamic Power Management" technology.
    Ten heat sensors
    221 square mm in 90nm.
    234 million transistors
    90nm SOI, Low K, 8 layers of metal & Copper interconnect.
  • here is a pic from ibm of the cell chip

[Edit by Q: Fixed sidescrolling]
  • http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell1.html

enjoy the reading.... if you want more let me know
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Interesting. We'll see how this plays out.

I reallt thought it was.... is you want to do research look at ibm's website search for "sti cell" I really can not find too much from them
  • well the PS2 performed good. I dont own an xbox but i like the PS2 better. Ive used an Xbox and im not saying there bad or anything but i like Ps better.

Why?
  • PS2 has more games, xbox has better graphics.
  • PS2 wins on games and the controller, hardware-wise xbox owns any console
  • The PS2 controller sux. Also, everybody seems to have one, so I'm sure as hell not getting one.
  • i found the PS2 one better than all the others, its simple, the others have *too* many buttons in akward places
  • Too many buttons in awkward places? Who the HELL needs *2* shoulder buttons? Really, the Xbox controller is a lot easier to use. But not the original, I'm talking about the S. The black/white buttons are too wierd on the original and the controller is too fricking huge.
  • You know, they make PS2-> xbox control converters...
  • and PS2 > USB but i cant find a UK dealer