Server on dialup?

edited February 2005 in Software
lol i want to setup a server but all me gots is 56k . is it still possible to have a server on that ?

Comments

• *Split from ConDefs old thread*

Assuming you have a good comp, yea but it wont be NEAR as usefull as one on a broadband/always on.

-Q
  • lol well i thought id help out WW cause who in their right mind would wana leech from a 56k modem???

but these are the specs

P3 866mhz
    256mb ram
    20gb hardrive
    256mb sound card
    creative live audio card
    windows xp home
  • Well, people will still try, and on 56K, I shudder to think what 1 DAPer would do to you.

-Q
  • You won't need to will, you Q?
  • what the hell ill give it a try. whats THE WORST that could happen, now im downing filezilla. im assuming when i set it up i use port 21 or something but how do i set it up with an IP cause on dialup that liike changes each time you connect doesnt it???
  • Yes. It does. You may want a static IP
  • static IP ??????? how do you reckon i do that\
  • QQ
    edited February 2005
    Just get No-IP/DynDNS/Other Dynamic DNS and run the updater every time you connect so it'll be current.

-Q
  • To the best of my knowlwedge, you can't on dial-up.

Sorry.

I'm thinking there is other ways.
  • Q wrote:
    Just get No-IP/DynDNS/Other Dynamic DNS and run the updater every time you connect so it'll be current.

-Q

Q care to explain what No-IP/DynDNS/Other Dynamic DNS , and where do i get this thing
  • You know how my svr is wwsvr.bounceme.net? Well whenever Comcast deigns to change my IP (Rarely), I just go to www.bounceme.net (No-IP), and tell them that my new IP is 68.x.x.x and they adjust wwsvr.bounceme.net so it points there now. It happens really rarely for me so I do it manually, but since dialup IPs change way to often, you'd probably be better off using the No-IP update app that they let you download if you want.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • it's possible, I used to have a ftp server
    and I used to have a BBS
  • BBS in the literal sense?

-Q
  • "literal sense"?
  • As in you had to dial your number to get on to is?

-Q

PS. Hows OpNetwk coming?
  • Yes.

A small part of OpenNetwork is restored! I've chosen another admin!
  • /me is impressed (@ the BBS thing)

-Q
  • I use to have a bbs back in the day....Nitric, go to no-ip-com... and d/l the no-ip duc program, then set up an account on no-ip.com...
  • ok i will , when i get home im at the library now, damn these comps make mine looke like a 8088 :(
  • you cant have everything in life..... I believe filezille uses port 21 automaticaly.... so you really should have to set up any ports. just some users, passwords if you want, and what directory for your ftp. everything is pretty easy to use
  • right on, EXCEPT all of the library comps only have two icons on the screen everything else is locked out, except My computer and IE!!
  • right on, EXCEPT all of the library comps only have two icons on the screen everything else is locked out, except My computer and IE!!

Well they dont want people messing up the computer... or installing things on them.... I honestly can not blame them for doing that.
  • me neither but that isnt the deal the bothers me and i mean by that is that they use IE
  • because IE has been around so long, and most IT dept believe in it "security" and also non conflicts to other software programs... Plus IE is user friendly..think about it, how long did you use IE before moving onto another browser, on my one computer at home I still use IE that is because I dont feel like teaching everyone there how to use something else
  • people use IE because they dont know about other browsers. think about it, whats the point of using something else if what you're using is already there?
  • ^ good point. i would suggest to them to use FF but come on most IT guys should know the disgusting truth about IE
  • Ffx + IE skin + toolbar hax0ring.

Problem solved.
  • its still not there when windows is installed
  • It is if you make in image of the drive (Which I'd expect a place like a library with many machines whould have learned to do)!

Speaking of IE in a library. guess what? The Burlington Country Central Library uses Ffx! I found out looking thought the card catalog!

-Q