SuSE Problems

edited February 2005 in Software
I am having problems FTPing into the server at my school, I cannot get any farther than 'waiting for login sequence', then it times out.
SuSE is using vsftpd.

I have tried looking around Webmin for a way to restart, I've also tried using the command /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd start, which 'works' to a extent, except I get 'permission denied' yet I am logged in as, and have, root access.

~Duff

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've informed the problem in part has to do with being active/passive on the server end.

P.S. I tried installing PureFTPD, but it needs dependencies, which I don't have time for.

~Duff
  • Use gFTP then....
  • Well he can't find one. And gFTP's dependencies should already be on that SuSE system.
  • Alright it turns out I was misinformed and its more broad.

"There's some option that I don't remember to fix that"

He says it was working fine a few days ago, there's just one setting he changed, and I don't know if Webmin can screw up reverse DNS, which is what 'he's' using (I'm using both Webmin and SSH).

Trust me, if the option was there, I switch to FreeBSD, but it's not.

~Duff
  • Maybe the settiing that was changed was a bad setting. Maybe ROOT got blocked or something. Try accessing it with a non ROOT user.
  • OK listen...its not saying password/user incorrect or anything. It can only get to 'waiting for login sequence'...the FTP client doesn't even send the user/pass by this point.

~Duff
  • try a different FTP client maybe??? I don't nkow but it may work...