Suggestion for NT 3.1/3.5

edited February 2005 in Site Issues
You should apply Slash's NT patch to the Windows NT 3.1 and 3.5 downloads. I was able to install 3.1 in VMware on this comp with it, and there are no changes to core system files. it turns out that Setup saw i686 or whatever and freaked out.

Comments

• Can you apply NT Service Packs to the installation media?

-Q
  • I don't think so. I'm willing to try, though.
  • It looks like the SPs will at least install on above an i586. It's a really annoying process - testing the SP, then having to reboot into DOS to copy a file off of the ISO I'm working from...quite stupid. Anybody have a DOS driver for the VMware SCSI device? It's a Buslogic something.

Crap, the NT 3.1 I have doesn't *have* the Buslogic driver, nvm.
  • What the CRAP! I'm getting STOP 1E errors up the wazoo! Mebbe NT 3 doesn't work on P4s after all...
  • OK, 3 STOP errors later, it turns out that the SP *won't* update on i686+. Prolly same bug and fix as Setup, now to figure out how...

EDIT: I commented out the subroutine checking to make sure it's running on i386 and quit if it isn't. No side effects. Besides, you wouldn't even be able to start the installer on a non-i386 system.
  • Heh. You might want to try another NT 3.1 (like the full version on my FTP).
  • If you're using the latest WinWorld NT 3.1 WS it IS the full version. I think it's just not that easy to add SPs into the CD.

-Q
  • STOP: c000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
    The image olecli32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not
    match the computed checksum.

Crap...how do I make them match? This is on my "slipstreamed" version.
  • Aaah. I have had errors similar with that when trying to make my custom Windows 3.1 (changing and modifying DLL's). If I find a way arround it ill let you know.
  • I've seen a couple of things on OSBA, but they seem to be for XP.

Q - I got my version from some Taiwanese server. It's just the i386 folder, not even any subfolders thereof.
  • O, the apch.something.something.tw one? I don't think we've used that in ages.

-Q
  • http://aph.pccu.edu.tw/ftp/OSR/nt31.zip specifically.

I may just end up including the SP on the CD and setting up the Windows installer to run it after GUI-mode setup (which is when OEM stuff usually would go, I think it's before rebooting).
  • 404 on that link
  • That's where i got it from...
  • After much effort, it appears that slipstreaming can't be done, nor does it appear to be possible to run anything after GUI-mode setup (probably was introduced in 3.5(1), it was definitely in 4).
    Q wrote:
    If you're using the latest WinWorld NT 3.1 WS it IS the full version.
    It's the whole CD?
  • If it's the one I gave to Q, then yes it is.
  • Was it you or BOD? Or someone else?

Anyway, looking @ it it looks to be the full ISO, but it's not bootable, although I'm not sure when CDs became bootable.

-Q
  • I'm pretty sure it was me. I was hosting NT 3.1 at the time. I was doing some Chicago testing at the time and happened to have the NT 3.1 ISO on the same CD.
  • i was NT 3.51 svr
  • Q wrote:
    Anyway, looking @ it it looks to be the full ISO, but it's not bootable, although I'm not sure when CDs became bootable.
    Around 1995. I wonder if NT 3.51 is.