The Bug Fest that will be IE7

edited March 2005 in Software
Just saw this over on BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4270449.stm

Microsoft better bring out all stops to even remotely bring IE up to scratch.

Richard

Comments

• They should just make a new browser based on gecko.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • only 5% use firefox.... that just doesn't seem right... Well, it is true that many people hate IE, but there's always room for them to improve, and a new version may very well give them a boost. And yes, the security has come a long way. Sure it does get annoying at times... but it's the users fault for visiting sites that would cause the annoyances. (though not always intentional)
  • I read that as well, I still think that it will be horrible, but might as well give it a chance
  • IE7...? OMG!
  • The next IE might be... interesting...
  • I'll wait and see. I don't know what else I can say.

-Q
  • I have a feeling it is going to be bloated.
  • I have a feeling your mom is bloated.
  • Now now, let's not go defending something that we all dislike. I mean, comeon, does anyone really expect this to be better then Ffx (KO doesn't count, he's already in that category)?

-Q
  • Probobly not. And @ Fish WTH?
  • It will be same as IE 5, 5.5 and 6 - only new upgrade for old IE4 kernel.
  • I wonder if it provides any major kernel changes. And I wonder what OS it will be compatible with. XP of course, but will it be supported for 2000 as well? I doubt it will go over to 98 or ME. So it's basically the first NT only IE version.
  • I think this is Microsoft's chance to really prove that they've improved. If IE7 comes out as secure and usable, then I think MS will have done a good thing. May as well give them a chance on this one, they can't screw it up again.
  • I have a feeling your mom is bloated.
    PWND (drool)
  • Zenithus wrote:
    I think this is Microsoft's chance to really prove that they've improved. If IE7 comes out as secure and usable, then I think MS will have done a good thing. May as well give them a chance on this one, they can't screw it up again.

oh yes they can...... look at Media Player 10..... i have its way worse then the other ones.... i mean if you thought 8 or 9 was bad? 10 tops it ( i have actually used media player 10... it was slow as mud)

IE 7 may be improved considering IE 6 sp2, with the pop up blocker and added security.... 7 may be decent.......

as for which OS's it supports, it'll probably support 98, although IE 6 on 98 was shit.... but you never know..... did IE 6 work on 95? if it did then thats probably an idication that the new one will still support 98, but probably drop 95...
  • IE6 was Windows 98 and up. IE7 will be for Windows XP and 2003 only.
  • I see... Moreover I guess it will be default browser in longhorn...
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Zenithus wrote:
    I think this is Microsoft's chance to really prove that they've improved. If IE7 comes out as secure and usable, then I think MS will have done a good thing. May as well give them a chance on this one, they can't screw it up again.

oh yes they can...... look at Media Player 10..... i have its way worse then the other ones.... i mean if you thought 8 or 9 was bad? 10 tops it ( i have actually used media player 10... it was slow as mud)

IE 7 may be improved considering IE 6 sp2, with the pop up blocker and added security.... 7 may be decent.......

as for which OS's it supports, it'll probably support 98, although IE 6 on 98 was shit.... but you never know..... did IE 6 work on 95? if it did then thats probably an idication that the new one will still support 98, but probably drop 95...

Off topic but, what's so bad about WMP 10? I use it on a regular basis and it's fast as well as stable.

~Duff
  • Quite the contrary. WMP 10 is worse than ever.
  • I just downloaded it, its not too bad, but winamp kicks its ass anyway...
  • I've never really had any problems with WMP 10, I use it cos it makes it easy to organise music, and to rip it from a disc, even if it is in WMA format.
  • the issue with WMP 10 was ram..... WMP 8 ran quite well while WMP 10 was slow as a slug..... took atleast a full minute for it to play one song......

I think i'll stick with winamp for regular playing..... and WMP for ripping.....

WMA format isn't so bad, winamp can play and some DVD players can play it as well, and some MP3 players can play WMA as well

and WMA's don't sound that bad so i have nothing aginst it.....

as for organizing music, i just organize the files themselves.... then create a winamp playlist
  • WMA format is fine. At least better than Mp3.
    But WMPlayer sucks! MP6 was obviously the best.
  • I prefer WMP10 over any of the other versions. It'll load and start playing a MP3 ~10 - 15 seconds after clicking the icon, and there's just something about it that I prefer.
    I use MP3 most of the time, but I have used WMA, and both play fine on both my DVD Player and MP3 Player.

~Duff
  • 10-15 seconds? woa mine loaded and played in about 3 :|
  • Mine loads really fast as well, considering my main workstation's a P3 650 ... :-|
  • Mine took about three second to load.
  • I should've pointed out I was doing alot of other processor intensive stuff at the same time, and I need some new RAM.

~Duff
  • yeah yeah maybe my judge of WMP 10 wasn't so good since it was on a purposly fucked up version of XP in VPC with 128MB of RAM set for it......

WMP 7+ always seemed slgish on everything i've seen it on... WMP 6.4 was quite good..... although it has a lack of a play list editor and such its very speedy, faster then WinAMP on the sever...

winamp's skin is sluggish though i should change it, anyways..... WMP 7.1 is ok.... 8 is fine..... i havent' tried 9 and i shoudl try 10 on a better system but frankly i dont' want to... frankly i thought the GUI was ugly