Windows registry tweak

edited February 2005 in Software
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Cool. That did the trick.
  • does this tweak actually yield a gain in preformance?
  • yes... the - did seem as if it were a delete or something... I do suppose this would be a nice prank to pull on others though (obviously if I am still here I didn't do it)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I saw this at toms first :P
  • Hey... I used to know that before, and tried... and I got no performance increase.
  • Slash, you *do* realise that by using toms "tweak" it will fuck up windows and you wont even be able to run exe's?
  • Hmm not very clever to post this considering some people may actually fall for it and actually fuck their machines up. :P

Richard
  • Well you know what tom's like ::roll:
  • Tomchu wrote:
    The fact that Nightice had to check my forum to tip himself off alone is pwnage.

The fact that he believed me when he first read the "tip" is even better.
    I don't quite see the PWNAGE in that.... checking for the same information at the sources website seems like a rather intelligent idea.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    The fact that Nightice had to check my forum to tip himself off alone is pwnage.

I don't quite see the PWNAGE in that.... checking for the same information at the sources website seems like a rather intelligent idea.

if you are incapable of seeing the pwnage in that you are a nub
  • call me what you will, it matters not.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tomchu wrote:

It seemed a little suspicious...then I saw your desktop with the chat with Fish about it, so I checked your forum to see what you said...nice (and evil) prank though.
  • Rather maliscious prank. What's the point of it though? You'd fool maybe 1 or 2 ppl into actually trying it and 1ce they sounded off you'd be found out.

-Q
  • His point was probably to see just how many people would complain in here about trying it and their computers screwing up.
  • It was kinda funny in VPC
  • I think Steve got owned guys. :P

I know better than to run ANY type of program/"fixes" made by people on Tom's forum.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    I think Steve got owned guys. :P

I know better than to run ANY type of program/"fixes" made by people on Tom's forum.

Ummm... he knew what it did before Tom even posted it, since IBM is in the irc channel where Tom talked about it.
  • Lucky SOB.

Does this work on Windows NT only, or will it work on 9x too?
  • Is there a registry in 9x? yes
    so it should work
  • So it should work on Windows NT 3x and 3x as well.
  • It wont work completely on 9x, since 9x has a different top-level key, HKEY_DYN_DATA and maybe something else.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Rather maliscious prank. What's the point of it though? You'd fool maybe 1 or 2 ppl into actually trying it and 1ce they sounded off you'd be found out.

scince this totally screws windows to the point where it cant even open a .exe anyone that tried it wouldnt be able to get there browser open to complain about it
  • You leave out the inevitable progress, namely reinstallation, which would enable some very easy complaining.

However all this is moot since noone fell for it.

-Q

PS. Idea!
  • Q wrote:
    You leave out the inevitable progress, namely reinstallation, which would enable some very easy complaining.

However all this is moot since noone fell for it.

-Q

PS. Idea!
    Can't the registry be repaired? Or... at least replaced with a basic copy.... at least allowing you to re-install your programs. (heh... no spyware installed anymore)
  • There is I beleive a "Last Known Good" option at boot of NTs, which this targets, but I don't know how much of the registry (If any of it) it backups/restores.

-Q
  • Where do you think the configuration is saved?

:-)

At least for the most part. Window still won't boot. :P
  • SMooth move on someones part. @least Windows 9x stored the backups seperately.

-Q