Windows NT 4.0 on a Zip Disk?

edited February 2005 in Software
Has anyone ever tried to install Windows NT 3.1/3.51/4.0 on a Zip Disk (Or a USB Flash Memory stick)? If so, could you please explain how to do so? Thanks.

Comments

• you can't becuase when it boots into the graphical portion (After the DOS setup), it won't know where to look for the files.
  • If you formatted it to FAT16 it may work. Having neither I can't test it right now.

-Q
  • Not a USB stick, but a Zip drive, maybe. You might be able to load the Zip driver at the beginning of text-mode setup (the pause where "Press F6 to load a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" shows up in later NTs would let you add a Zip driver), so long as you still have a writable FAT or NTFS partition on your hard disk. I vaguely remember seeing something in NT 3.1's setup.txt about removable devices, but I'm not sure if it was about installing onto one.
  • It's impossible. After copies it's files and reboots into setup off the HD, it's going to need more files off the CD. Not having the USB Disk driver, theres no way it's going to find them.

The only way you can do it is if you get a DOS USB Disk driver, and copy it over to your HD, then install it.
  • Perhaps a parallel-port Zip disk...
  • I DO have one of them, but no Zip disks. Fish I know does however, so...

-Q
  • I supose if you install the driver for the parelell one during the DOS-like setup, it could work. I'm no 100% sure.

But NT needs some hacks to make it support USB.
  • My friend has tried to install NT 3.5 on 64Mb flash. But the install did not succeed.
  • I used my flash driive to copy win98 and ME files to my laptop, it worked but was tedios, every time i had 64MB of files copied i had to turn off the laptop then turn it on again.
  • Steve wrote:
    I supose if you install the driver for the parelell one during the DOS-like setup, it could work. I'm no 100% sure.

Or just download a file from OldOS (the USB for NT4 works for meee)
  • Just make sure you have a writable FAT or NTFS partition on the first hard drive so you can actually boot NT.
  • Steve wrote:
    I supose if you install the driver for the parelell one during the DOS-like setup, it could work. I'm no 100% sure.

Or just download a file from OldOS (the USB for NT4 works for meee)

But that won't work during the SETUP. :P