Hey JC Moor!!!

edited February 2005 in Hardware
I know you like slot 1 PII Computers. I guess you do but anyway i got one. I bought a motherboard with a slot 1 PII I think its 400 Mhz. I haven't got it powered up yet. The powersupply i got want work. I got to swap it for one that has the cord that runs to the power button. Boy i hope this baby works. Oh this may sound stupid. It has no fan. Do i need a fan over the processor? I got a slot 1 fan if it needs one. Is there anyway to tell the speed without powering it on? It may be a few weeks or maybe a few days before i can power it on. How do i tell the speed?

Comments

• *Moved to HW Support*

-Q
  • L.O.L Ok sorry about that
  • It's fine.

As far as your question, I'd definately recommend a fan.

-Q
  • A Pentium II can run with only a heatsink. That's how my sever is and the heatsink isn't even warm, cold as steel. And you can tell the speed by looking at the serial number on the CPU.

[Edit by Q: Merged double posts]
  • Mine has a big huge heatsink on it and a fan that is about 6 inches arround near the rear of the case that cools it.
  • Well i have an extra heatsink with a fan on it that was on another slot one P II i had. Also my slot 1 celeron 433 has a fan and heatsink.
  • My 233 has a massive heatsink and my server has a massive heatsink as well
  • if it helps at all, my PIII 650 has a smallish heatsink, and that NEVER gets hot
  • I don't have any sloted cpus at my house anymore... my pentium 2 from long ago (before ANY of the ones I have now) was the only one.