What Linux should I use?

edited April 2005 in Software
I set up my DeskPro 233 again. It's next to my iMac on my desk...
Now it's my Play (test) computer.The Specs are:

Pentium 2 233Mhz
64MB RAM
6.4GB HD
2MB PCI Graphics
Windows 2000

I dont have the internet on it anymore (I gave the USB adapter to my dad for his newly aquired Duron 900) I want to try some flavor of Linux on it. I went to LinuxISO.org and there are bunched of Linux Flovors, but I dont know which one is best for my specific specs... Anyway I ll probably just put WNT4 back on if I get tired of Linux...

O Yeah! What is the names of these, I forgot:

i386-
i486-
i586-
i686-

Comments

• For just playing, anything that'll work with that system.

-Q
  • It depends what you want to do. I would recommend Slackware or Vector for their speed on old hardware, but if you're patient, Gentoo will fly on that machine. However, it's prolly not a good choice if you're completely new to this sort of stuff. Debian and anything based on it is also nice. Stay away from Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. They're nice distros, but meant to be run on much more modern comps.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2005
    i386- 386 DX/SX
    i486- 486 DX/SX
    i586- Pentium I/AMD K6
    i686- Pentium II/AMD K6-III

You might want to try an older version of another distro that has an older, less resource-sucking, GUI.
  • nightice wrote:
    Stay away from Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE, etc.

If you can get an old(er) version of SuSE, see if that'll work on there. I've never used Mandrake and yes, avoid FCwhatever.

-Q
  • edited March 2005
    Tomchu wrote:
    Anyway, give an old Slackware a try. Let's say ... 2001. Try a really old version of Redhat as well.

:?

Slackware has always been among the fastest distros, no matter what version.
    For comparison, when my server was my test machine, I tried Red Hat on it. It was OK, but the installer once fucked up leaving GNOME unusable. When it did work, it tended to lag harder than XP on a 486. Slackware, on the other hand, was much snappier both for bootup and general use. The installs always went off without a hitch.
  • Ill try Gentoo or Slackware. I remember I did RedHat before, but it was really slow in GUI on my Duron 900, but that was in VMware
  • NI, can you fix your quote? I don't like looking like I said that.

-Q
  • The GUI is the same in all distro's unless they make their own besides GNOME and KDE (which the current versions would run slow on that machine). So, unless he really likes the shell, I wouldn't go with that.
  • Try xfce or WindowMaker.
  • But does that come with Slackware?
  • Yeah, it was KDE
  • Can someone make a direct link to it? It looks cool on the website...
  • As of 10.1 xfce 4.2.0 and WindowMaker 0.91 are present. Blackbox and Fluxbox are also available, you might want to look into those.
  • I got 10.0... Can I download from somewhere?
  • nightice wrote:
    As of 10.1 xfce 4.2.0 and WindowMaker 0.91 are present. Blackbox and Fluxbox are also available, you might want to look into those.
    Ive never tried those two but I bet performance will be slow. Most especially considering the RAM in that machine *eeek*.
  • NTL1991 wrote:
    I got 10.0... Can I download from somewhere?
    If you've got at least the first 2 CDs you should be set if you're only going to learn about Linux. Also, you've said you can download an ISO in about 15 minutes, it prolly won't be an issue about updating to 10.1. ;) Use swaret or slapt-get.

jc - Actually, Blackbox and Fluxbox are very fast WMs.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Yeah, except that with the latest versions of Slackware come bloated, modern versions of KDE/GNOME. So that's out.

K6-II's were not 686-generation, BTW.
    Woops. Fixed.
  • Well, I just turned it back on and installed it (with the help of the easy guide I printed out on SlackWare) Now I know how to mount a CD...
  • gentoo 2005.0 /w blackbox
    <3 emerge
  • Woah, the correct question for this thread should've been:

Which distro should I not use?

and the correct answer would've been:

all