doesn't display anything during startup

edited March 2005 in Software
Something very weird is going on with my XP box. It'll start bootup fine ("Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" blah blah) but then the screen will go blank for a while (about 45 seconds) with no HD activity, then the logon screen loads. Before this started happening, the screen would blank momentarily after the startup screen and go to the logon screen. Once it shows up, XP runs fine. This just happened when my sister was rebooting it about 15 minutes ago. Boot.ini hasn't changed, nor anything related to bootup.

Comments

• Do an ad-aware/virus scan ASAP. Sisters=Bad.
  • No, actually, the extent of her downloading is MP3s off of websites (not even aza) using Firefox. But I'll run adaware/spybot and some AV ASAP.
  • See if you can access it via safe mode.
  • nightice wrote:
    No, actually, the extent of her downloading is MP3s off of websites (not even aza) using Firefox. But I'll run adaware/spybot and some AV ASAP.
    Even that can get some junk on your system. I had some type of JAVA trojan in the JAVA cache the other day after DLing some torrents with FFX.
  • Steve wrote:
    See if you can access it via safe mode.

The thing is, it does this on startup, but everything else runs like nothing ever happened. Same thing with safe mode. O.o.
  • I doubt the recovery console is going to help you. You're just screwed over.
  • It just sounds like an extra-long boot time. Maybe some type of new service is installed?
  • Yeah, I'll just have to deal with it...but it doesn't seem like there's any adverse effects.
  • Oh, didn't see that. So you can access Windows.

Check for newly installed stuff, etc.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.