Server STARTING

JJ
edited March 2005 in Software
Well, from yesterday, I kinda took your 'advice' as one would put it and I'm starting my server using Windows Server 2003.

The server will be EXTREMELY part-time.

For week A, the server will run from 4pm - 10pm
For week B, the server will NOT run.

---- EDITED ----
IT WILL NOT RUN ON WEEKENDS!
AND WE'RE ACTUALLY STARTING ON WEEK B!
and the first week A starts at 5:30pm- the Friday will be from 3pm and every week A's Thursday will be 8 pm

We're starting on week B.

Now, for your actual advice on this- what web, ftp and mail server will be best for something like this?

Please DO NOT say anything that is linked to:
- paying dosh up front
- is full of ads/spyware/etc.

I've already chosen Apache 2 for the web server, but can anyway swave my opinion?

I AM chosing Windows for the operating system, but like I said before, which Windows NT? I would like something out of 2000 Adv. Server and 2003 Enterprise Ediiton. Poll if you wish.

Thanks!

Comments

• For FTP, I would use FileZilla, it's very small and flexible, and use Mercury Mail for a mail server.
  • You dont need a server edition OS to use as a server, unless you're running a domain controller or something you dont need all the extra stuff, 2000 pro will run just as good
  • In which case, I have updated the poll.

Ok, so for mail, http and ftp, I'm sorted, now for the big question...what OS?

I'm open to Linux (for once :? ).
  • I'd say 2000, it's a bit less demanding than 2003.

For software, I would use Apache for HTTP, BulletProof for FTP (it can be cracked), and I'm not sure about mail.
  • Well, the mail server (mercury) and FTP server (firezilla, WHERE DO I GET THIS FROM??) has been chosen.

Now for OS! I might go with 2000 Pro.
  • i still use apache 1.3.33, i haven't gotten used to 2.0.5x yet.

Filezilla i think is on sourceforge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/ but i'm not sure
  • Well, it's sorted.

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional, FireZilla, Mercury Mail and Apache 1.3.x!

Thanks for your help!
  • Why so strict on the times? Just leave it on all day like the majority does...
  • Hmm, if only that was possible...long story, don't ask...

Besides, I've scrapped that idea for now...