GUI for new laptop.....

edited May 2005 in Software
I just got a new laptop....sort of. It's a 486DX/40 with 12 megs of RAM. I'm wondering what everybody thinks would be the best shell for this machine. I don't want to run windows 3.x and 95 would run slow as hell. I'm leaning toward opengem, but what does everybody think?

Comments

• 95 wouldn't be THAT bad of a machine, I've run it on worse, but if you're looking for a shell I'd go for something like New Deal Office or the like.

~Duff
  • 95 would be terribly slow. I have a IBM 90mhz P1 laptop that runs win95, and sometimes its slow as hell. Try IBM OS/2 3.0 or something.
  • 40/12 is barely anything. I'd use WFWG or something.
  • 486sx/25 with 8mb ram and 95 (fail) so slow its painful
  • Windows NT 3.51 Workstation or WFW 3.11 if you HAVE to have a shell.
  • Dude, NT 3.51 would run like shit on that, and OS\2 Warp 3 isn't going to go over well on 12MB of RAM.
  • I think i'll go with OS/2 2.0. It should run better than Warp 3, plus it runs DOS and Windows 3.0 apps. I was also looking into minix, which is a small unix os. Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
  • I had 95 on my Packard Bell StatesMan Plus:

50Mhz 486
    12MB RAM
    200MB HDD
    512KB Video Ram
    Floppy Drive

The only problem I had was with the Video Card and 95... I could only get 16 colors...uhh. It ran good though...
  • You know you should really use a 32-bit OS. Like NT 3.51 or
    Win95.
  • It's called a driver. =)
  • jcmoor wrote:
    You know you should really use a 32-bit OS. Like NT 3.51 or
    Win95.

OS/2 is (mostly) 32-bit.
  • jcmoor wrote:
    Win95.

Nick said he had 95 on it. :?

95 is a 32-bit OS, and his drivers didn't work.

Maybe his video card was a bit tempremental, or he had outdated drivers...sometimes DriverGuide can be a pain in the arse.
  • Zenithus wrote:
    jcmoor wrote:
    Win95.

Nick said he had 95 on it. :?

95 is a 32-bit OS, and his drivers didn't work.

Maybe his video card was a bit tempremental, or he had outdated drivers...sometimes DriverGuide can be a pain in the arse.
    What version?
  • i don't think NT 3.51 would run terribly slow on that.... i run it on 486C (33mhz) with 16 mb of ram... runs like a dream, how worse could 12MB be?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • How do you get OS/2? I want to try it out. Free. :D. NT4 would be your best bet, because it is a stripped-down version of 95. Why not 3.1?
  • edited May 2005
    nichols660 wrote:
    How do you get OS/2? I want to try it out. Free.
    See that forum at the bottom of the page? Under "Assorted Randomness"? Ask there.
    nichols660 wrote:
    NT4 would be your best bet, because it is a stripped-down version of 95.
    lmao (fail) LOL lmao
  • nichols660 wrote:
    because it is a stripped-down version of 95

eh? NT came out after 95, how can it be a stripped install of it?
  • nichols660 is officaly the new forum nugget, we will now commence throwing flaming rocks through your windows
  • LMAO

Eggs do a much better job, plus they leave stains. :D