Configuring Sendmail

edited March 2005 in Software
I'm new to the whole Sendmail thing so you'll ahve to bear with me...

How do I configure Sendmail so that it accepts mail from other domains and relays mail to other domains?

I will be installing a pop3 and IMAP daemon later on as well so I might need help with that...

Also, how do I relay incoming mail for any user admin to a specific mailbox?

Thnx in advance guys, I know it'll be Tom and BOD helping me here. ;)

Comments

• Yeah, thats all well and good, but how do I accept relays to any server? That only tells me how to configure individual domains.
  • What as in being able to send emails anywhere?
  • Yep, basically.
  • /me opens PuTTY

access:
    192.168.1.      RELAY
    192.168.1.1     OK

local-host-names
    bod.no-ip.org

That's all I have + qpopper and I can send to anywhere
  • AH, cheers BOD, I didn't have qpopper.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, I knew that, but I didn't know which POP3 daemon to get, although QPopper is very good.
  • OK. www.hurstunlimited.com is now running FreeBSD, thanks to a changeover last night that lasted an hour. Everything is running smoothly, I'm very pleased.
  • Read the section before sendmail in the handbook,I only chose qpopper because it was the frst mentioned
  • Well, the only small problem I have now is that it won't let me realy (my PC's IP address is 192.168.0.2 and I've set up 192.168 in the access file). I can recieve mails easily, and send them across the domain, but not realy them.

Whenever I try to send it in Outlook is says host lookup failed.

Any ideas BOD?
  • DNS problems?

New name: BOD
  • Try 192.168.
  • I've tried that too, also, now its not working with aliases. I have admin, ebay, and web pointing to the Administrator account in the aliases file, and i've ran newaliases, but it just keeps gicing postmaster messages to the root mailbox, any ideas?
  • cd to /etc/mail

and run make

then restart sendmail by killall -HUP sendmail
  • I got it working, the user Administrator began with a capital letter, a bad idea. I changed it to lower case and now it runs great!
  • Everyone should TAKE AN EXAMPLE.

*cough* *cough* josh *cough*
  • Wow, FreeBSD pwnz Linux and Windows NT as a server. I've tried SME Server, which was sooo shit and wanted to control everything so badly that it createds its own runlevel (?), Windows NT was OK for a while but it loaded lots of unneccassary things, and the user accounts for the web, ftp, mail etc were not integrated. FreeBSD does what I want, when I want, and so it's the perfect server OS for my needs. Plus it runs really well on my P166 with 64MB RAM.
  • edited March 2005
    Not to start an argument, but why the HELL did you run SME? If you want to do any real Linux servering run Slackware or Debian.
  • Why bother? I have FreeBSD now. ALthough I might get Slackware and run it on the test PC soon...
  • If you like BSD you're gonna love Slack. :)
  • EVen though I could just use FreeBSD thats installed now and not bother changing anything...