DOS and UNIX

edited September 2004 in Software
A few weeks ago I was bored and took a 386 and installed DR-DOS 7.03 and a few addons like the FAT32 driver and the NTFS driver. Couldn't get the USB driver to work correctly. Anyway, I also installed DJGPP (CYGWIN for DOS) and turned the 386 into a Hybrid of DOS and UNIX. I read some documents on the net about compiling Apache and some other webbased programs for it to run with my setup. I'm still trying to complete the DJGPP addon, damn thing has like over a thousand tools. Also I found a copy of X-Windows that can run in DOS also thats built over the DJGPP core. I'm only working on this when theres nothing to do. Kinda funny though, I have over 10 projects that i'm currently working on lol.

Comments

• the topic is very interesting i think
    but can you give me a link for X-Window clents for DOS?

and some additions i'd like to type
    first of all
    you can download DR-DOS 8.0 on my site
    http://dos710files1.h12.ru/drdos8-1.img
    http://dos710files1.h12.ru/drdos8-2.img
    http://dos710files1.h12.ru/drdos8-3.img
    a lot new things are there
      Key Features
      [*]FAT 32 file system and large disk support [/*]
      [*]Ability to boot DOS from ROM or FLASH [/*]
      [*]Comprehensive DOS utility set [/*]
      [*]Multitasking, with API for developers [/*]
      [*]Includes 286/386/486/Pentium DPMS memory manager in addition to DPMI [/*]
      [*]Stacker disk compression [/*]
      [*]NWCACHE - disk caching program [/*]
      [*]EMM386 memory manager [/*]
      [*]DOS Protected Mode Services (DPMS) [/*]
      [*]Multitasking [/*]
      [*]DR-DOS provides a full multitasking environment on Pentium, 486, or 386-based hardware. This is built into the memory management extensions provided in the operating system, and is accessible for standard un-aware applications when using the Task manager (Taskmgr) utility. Programs however can have direct access to create separate threads etc, via the extended Application Programming Interface [/*]
      [*]DPMS - A memory manager that works on 286/386/486/Pentium-based PCs, allowing device drivers to reside outside of the regular DOS application area. Drivers or Terminate stay-resident applications can thereby avoid using valuable application memory. [/*]
      [*]ROM tools available[/*]

and you can download the USB-mouse driver
      http://dos710files1.h12.ru/mouse.zip
      (UHCI.EXE and OHCI.EXE)
    • hey! That works great! I've always loved DR-DOS...

I wanna ask you, what is the latest version of it?
    • :)
      are you joking?
      i told DR-DOS 8.0
      see the message above your
    • Dammit! I haven't noticed you told me that was the last version... Now I'm downloading it...
    • TCPMeta, can you recommend me any SSH clients and X-Window servers for DOS?
    • TCP has a 386 with USB? :-?
    • TCP has a 386 with USB? :-?

perhpas thats why the driver didnt work lol
    • Obviously thats pure bullshit. Thats why there havent been any responses to this topic from him.
    • Does he just sit there and make shit up?

Why's he still a mod?
    • Mostly LOL Alot of crap he just makes up.

There are ISA USB cards but they're insanely slow compared to PCI..but...yeah, who actually uses a 386 with USB....who actually uses a 386 anyway...
    • I do.

The 386 that is, not USB in a 386.

-Q
    • OK I retract that statement..

But WHO uses USB in a 386. It's slow as hell becuase ISA isnt as fast as PCI.

I bet he's going to say he moded a 386 chip into a 486 mainboard or he modded his 386 mainboard to use PCI by adding the chipset and ports LMAO
    • usb is slow enough anyway, but good luck findin an OS that will support it properly

EDIT: on a 386 that is
    • Does he just sit there and make shit up?

Why's he still a mod?

Yes, and I don't know. :)
    • Tom wrote:
      Does he just sit there and make shit up?

Why's he still a mod?

Yes, and I don't know. :)

Actually, hes NOT a mod anymore, when Q was gone I made some changes, like de-moding TCP, de-adming Duff. I also modded Roger, and admined Mr. Clean and DevilsJim89.

And yes, he just sits here making shit up. Then when you own him majorly, he blocks you. :)

-FishNET
    • LOL, I think he blocked me, hes like never one XD

/me still waits for pic of that 1337 Athlon 64 LOL
    • What about the Athlon 1800+ running at 1.9GHz, or the 3.7GHz, or his router PC, or his cluster thing, or his rack servers, or half his shit?

-FishNET
    • Or the AMD K6-III 500MHz...hey, that sounds real!
    • No, K6-IIIs are rare and expensive, he didnt have one.
    • Typo, K6-II.

I think in real life he works flipping burgers for $5/hour, not 100K/year.
    • I'll say that I have some definate suspiscions about him, and some of the things he says don't match up.

-Q
    • One time he showed me a pic of his new video card he took. I asked him for a pic of his PC and he said his camera was broken LMAO
    • Exactly. Alot of his stuff was fake, or he would have got pictures. Then his 3.7GHz, just the other day he claimed he gave us screenshots, even though everyone kn0ws he didnt.

-FishNET
    • You faked the WCPUID screenshot to cover his ass.

By me saying that, theres no doubt it was fake or he would do it himself. LOL
    • Nah, I did it more to show him how fucking easy it would have been for him to do, but he couldnt even do THAT.

-FishNET
    • (fail) I could do that in paint in like 5 minutes
    • I did it in paint in LESS than 5 minutes. My friend happened to have an Athlon MP 2800+, so I asked him for a WCPUID screenshot. I then took it and made a few changes to it. I used Windows Calculator to see how many times 266 goes into 3701, then made that the multiplier... it was so easy.

-FishNET
    • Yeah, you've faked more than one WCUPID screenshot that you then tried to convince me with, Tim. :P

Oh well, old times. We're on better playing grounds now. LOL

But yeah, TCP cracks me up. The guy's so inconsistent it's like trying to keep water in the form of a cube, without the cube. His 3.7 GHz Athlon MP was just awesome. LOL He would refuse to send me pictures, and then when I showed him that the highest overclock in the world ever done on an Athlon was something like 3.2 GHz on liquid nitrogen (NOT permanent, as it only takes a few minutes for the liquid nitro to evaporate), he blocked me.
    • Yeah, I mean, Athlon MP 2800+s are only like 2.2GHz or something, so thats OVER a 1GHz overclock. The highest Ive seen was like 4.1GHz, on a like 3.2GHz P4 or something, and it lasted like 10 minutes before the CPU fried or something like that, I cant really remember the story.

Recently I told him to stop lying, then he said I did it all the time, then brought up my XP on a 100MHz, which Q and Mr. Clean DID see, so they know its real. Then he said "post a message on computing.net and you will get tons of people calling you a lier".... so I did, then he blocked me, and everyone on Computing.net says it IS possible.
    • LMAO If hes so smart then why did he deny that! I mean....I got 2000 on a 90MHz, Why is XP that hard LOL.

He just can't handle the fact that hes wrong.